Long Meadow Ranch Winery: Classic Rutherford Wines

I haven’t done a write up on a new winery in quite a long time. Most of my recent notes have been about Barolo but Napa was our original love and still makes up about 32% of our cellar. I’ve searched the site and have found very little on LMR so figured I’d share our recent impressions. First a little background on how we got to know the wines. We squeezed in a quick short trip in Napa last October. We didn’t do a lot of tastings but had a few wineries we wanted to catch up with. Myriad, Frogs Leap, Di Costanzo. The thread last year about the purchase of Stony Hill caught my eye and I was hoping we might get a chance to taste LMR wines while we were in town. We had lunch at Farmstead the day after a great tasting at Frog’s Leap. We had some time afterward and did a tasting in the Farmstead general store. I remember we liked the wines quite a bit and we signed up for the wine club.

We opened a few of their 2014 Napa cabs last year and enjoyed them quite a bit. They’re made in a style that I really prefer these days. A bit lower in alcohol and less new oak but plenty of bright Napa fruit and a solid value around $50. We didn’t try any of the Rutherford Estate wines until this past week for New Years celebrating. LMR owns 74 acres in Rutherford slightly west of Frog’s Leap on the east side of 29. 2013 was the inaugural vintage for the Rutherford Estate wines. I have the 13 Cab but felt like 2014 wines would be in a better spot right now. On NYE we opened the 14 Rutherford Merlot and yesterday the 14 Rutherford Cab. Both of the wines were excellent. Really bright nose of plum and dark cherry fruit that was expressive and somewhat floral. Both showed notes of currant, plum, dark fruit and slight notes of cocoa. The Merlot was a touch finer and just a beautiful well made wine. It sees 25% new oak and is 13.5% alcohol. The Cabernet was classic in style with 50% new oak and also 13.5 alc. It has a bit more heft than the merlot but still medium body in weight with darker fruit tones. Both wines are really expressive and showed great on their own and with food which is key for me. We drank the Merlot very quickly so couldn’t follow it for too long but the Cab developed beautifully over a 2 hour decant. It has terrific mid palate expression with fine tannin that leads to a nice and persistent finish. We really liked the Merlot but loved the Cabernet.

What appealed to us was how bright the fruit and flavor was but no feeling of over extraction or manipulation. Just plenty of fresh Napa fruit framed with a careful use of oak. Another plus was no green bell pepper or unripe flavors which I’ve found in some lower alc wines. The real key was how much we enjoyed with and without food. We drink a lot less Napa wines these days but LMR will be one we continue to purchase and add to the cellar. For those interested both wines cost $68 if your a member of their club. They also hold the wines back a bit to give them more time to age. We hope to do an estate visit later this year to try the rest of the line up as they also make Anderson Valley Pinot and Mountain wines from their Mayacamas Estate.

Plenty of info to find on their website https://www.longmeadowranch.com/. No affiliation other than a new fan.

Cheers

Thanks for that color. I have one bottle of their 2013 Cab…which was sent to me by a merchant when I had ordered a Barbaresco. Customer service’s attitude was basically ‘they’re both red wines, deal with it’ so I have one more Cab in the cellar (and one less vendor sending me emails)

Arv- they made both a 13 Napa and the first 13 Rutherford Estate that year. The Rutherford wines have a 2nd small label under the main label calling out Rutherford.

For any fans of Tony Soter’s Etude Cab’s from the mid 90’s through 02 you should really enjoy these wines. Found Roy’s thread on Soter’s final Napa wine - 2007 Prop Red. We also had that wine open on NYE and the style was very similar.

Agreed. Have only had their 16 Napa Cab, but it was classic with nice acidity, black fruit, and a very pleasant little bit of minty-ness. Nice cab for the price!

Not familiar with the wines but their on site restaurant The Farmstead is one of the best in Napa Valley.

Tom

Tom- based on your feeling on Frog’s Leap I think you would enjoy these wines. Next time your in Farmstead drop into the general store for a quick tasting. That’s what we did last year. We tasted several of the Napa and Rutherford estate wines. Their Rutherford shows a touch more body than Frog’s Leap but tasting these side by side in a few years will definitely be a fun exercise.

1 Like

Are the Long Meadow Ranch Winery wines impacted by the sale of Stony Hill? Stony Hill Sold.....Again?! - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Hi Howard- pretty confident it does not. LMR has 2 estate wineries and Farmstead restaurant in St Helena. I got the note on the Stony Hill sale but didn’t get anything from LMR on the sale.

1 Like

LMR also has an estate vineyard in Anderson Valley.

Thanks Casey your right. Forgot about Anderson Valley estate. Quite a diverse portfolio.

Because of this thread, I ordered a three pack of wine (I’ve had dinner at the restaurant, but never purchased the wines). I haven’t opened any yet, but since I placed the order in early January, they’ve called me on the phone three times trying to sell me more. Not the end of the world, but it’s a new experience for me to have a winery so aggressive with phone sales especially when I only bought three bottles…

They also have a tasting room here in AV. its located in the Madrones complex in Philo a couple miles south of their estate formerly know as Corby Ranch.

1 Like