Consumption in 2020

Since I have been reading threads about cellar diversity, etc. etc. it was mentioned that cellar holdings do not necessarily correlate to consumption in terms of regions. I then looked at my consumption and found that it is pretty close to what I actually cellar. Red and white burgundies + champagne have been the regions with the highest consumption percentage.

What was also notable is that I saw that I had a 35% increase in my consumption in 2020 compared to the average yearly consumption of the last 5 years (77 - five year annual average versus 104 bottles in 2020). I am just curious if anyone else noticed if their consumption went up in 2020 and by how much. To make things a bit more even, my wife drinks very little so this is almost 95% consumed by 1 person (me [wink.gif]).

My consumption was almost exactly at my 5 year average. However the mix has changed significantly, with German Riesling way up - about 1/3 of bottles consumed in 2020. That’s a big change - was 12% in 2019 and 5% in 2018. Reflects an overall trend to drink less red. Red was about 50% in 2020, trending steadily down from 70% in 2015.

Red mix has evolved as well towards Burgundy and away from Bordeaux and California Cabernet/Pinot. Piedmont has held steady and in 2020 I was drinking more red variety as well (almost all Tuscany and N. RhĂ´ne).

It’s less, by a lot, just because of less events and socializing. Went through around 200 bottles which is typical for our normal consumption but usually we open another couple hundred with friends and family.

OK its way up! It is covid related, but I believe it is a function of my house being overcrowded with 4 extra people in my house throughout the entire pandemic…
2016: 257
2017: 265
2018: 288
2019: 262
2020: 355 Thats a ton, but I don’t think I personally drank more or less. Man I almost wish I wouldn’t have seen that!

Less this year. A lot of my consumption is social and that went out the window this year.

It went way up this year due to working at home and there’s always a bottle staring at me around 4:30pm/5pm.

Between my partner and I, we consumed 305 bottles of wine in 2020. Compared to a regular year, maybe around 200.

My consumption went down, although my cellar management system says that it went up from 160 bottles in 2019 to 249 bottles. But the more accurate Cellartracker notes tracker (which covers roughly 85%-90% of all the wines I had) went down to 480 wines from 581 in 2019. The reason for all this is simple: less group tastings, verticals and other such tastings, a little bit more at home consumption.

Probably the same for me, but I was more curious of personal consumption by volume. Pre-covid I had 2 tasting groups and also regularly had wine with a friend on almost a weekly basis. These would have pushed my tasting notes way above my 77 a year average. The thing is though I never counted those as consumption per cellatraker as those wines did not originate from me. People usually bring one bottle per person in our offlines so it kind of cancels things out and I end up drinking 1 bottle that day, even though technically I drank 6 - 4 oz servings from 6 different wines.

Up by a lot… Working from home leading to more regular wine consumption and more frequent tasting events (what used to be a once a month in person tasting is now a weekly virtual event)

+30% in 2020 [drinkers.gif]

2020: Consumed (192)
2019: Consumed (187)
2018: Consumed (192)

The only interesting this is when I’m just opening for dinner wines with my partner, the average price per bottle dropped significantly in 2020.

“It’s organic. It has no nutritional value, but consistency is not really a human trait.”

Intersting! Mine actually went up by 22%. When my partner and I are alone and especially during lockdowns there was not much else to do… and maybe the end of the world seemed too near sometimes. But the main reason is that there were less dinners with non-wine-collector friends (less dinners in general), where it makes no sense to open a 300$ bottle of wine.

Down, by choice.

Not going out to BYOW restaurants, I drank less than twelve bottles of wine in 2020.

We consumed a good deal more in 2020, more than usual and probably more than most people on this board.

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, we don’t belong to any wine groups, or do any wine dinners as such. We drink at home. If we’re eating dinner or weekend lunches at home, we’re opening wine 95% of the time. In 2020, with me unemployed, and no travel or business trips or early meetings, nearly all meals were taken at home and with wine. There were many days when deciding early in the day what to make for dinner and what open kept us going. Less the alcohol, though I’d be lying if I said that didn’t help smooth the edges, and more the ritual and normalcy and shared pleasure - just having a small thing to look forward to every day. It was so important for us during a very dark year.

Wine goes faster here than in most Berserker houses, I think. From what I’ve read, most people who post here are the primary drinkers in the household, and spouses for the most part drink less or only sometimes. In our house, we drink almost the same amount of wine. If anything, I drink a little less, as he outweighs me by 100 lbs.

We are used to entertaining a lot, which was necessarily down in 2020, though we did manage a few nice meals with friends and plenty of wine out on our deck. On the flipside, we had some time to look at a few wines in the cellar and decide we didn’t want them - off the auction with a half dozen cases or so! And we gave away or sold a steady stream of 6 packs to friends and family, some to share over Zoom and some to make sure they were taken care of. When Philadelphia’s election results were announced, we poured an entire case of champagne into plastic cups on our front steps for neighbors and passersby.

Now we’re doing dry January+, as we always do, and I feel good about it. I’ll probably take it through mid-Feb and Jonathan will go longer.

2 Likes

My consumption in 2020 of bottles from my cellar was about average. But, this probably meant I drank a lot less than in prior years because I drank a lot less wine from restaurants, etc., that were not from my cellar.

Overall consumption by bottle count was down about 20% from 2019. Most of that was for 2 main reasons - my early 2020 surgery and no tastings/events for most of the year. In the last half of the year I was actually opening more bottles but drinking less. I got picky, and opened & dumped a lot of things. Pretty much all of my “cellar culls” are now gone. One of my big goals for 2021 (which I will fail at…yes, I am realistic) is to make fewer “that might be interesting to try” purchases.

We were up about 30%. While less consumed socially, that was more than offset by COVID-related factors and, more significantly, all the sample bottles that “poured” in as a result of not being able to visit winemakers in Europe. In the past, those consumed bottles would only have been tasting notes.

My consumption was down by at least 50% - no weekly Friday night dinners of my golf circle (I always supply the wine) and many fewer dinners with friends on Saturday nights (outdoor dining only).

My consumption was way down for 2020. No dinners out and I am only very intermittently in the mood for even a glass of wine by myself.

I just wish that had translated to weight loss rather than weight gain…

Wine consumption down, cocktail consumption up! My tastes seem to be changing to cocktails over wine