TN: 2018 Elyse Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2018 Elyse Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/3/2021)
    The first vintage of Elyse Cabernet made by Russell Bevan, and it is indeed a “baby Bevan” wine, with the same textural elements as his eponymous wines, but on a smaller scale. Deep cassis and berry fruit, buffed tannins, silky palate presence, it’s all the finely honed, eminently drinkable Napa Cab. It’s a style of wine I profess to not like, but Russell somehow makes it cool. I can’t stop drinking it. A real bargain in the modern Napa Cab world.

Posted from CellarTracker

I agree with a lot of this. I was really impressed with the amount of polish on this $50 or so bottle.

1 Like

Thank you, David. Russell and I are aiming to over deliver at the $50-$60 range with Elyse. We have expanded the Cabernet portfolio starting with the 2018 vintage so there will be some new wines this fall.

3 Likes

This wine certainly overdelivered. The 2018 Dry Creek Zin did as well.

I opened a bottle tonight and completely agree. Can’t think of a better QPR in Napa. This reminds me a bit of the myriad Napa valley. $41.25 and drinks like a $100 wine easily.

Great price!

Their club price, they let you choose what wines to get from a 6 pack so I got 3 NV and 3 sv.

Hmm…might have to join.

Yeah I didn’t see the 18 zin as an option for the spring only for fall but it was a pretty great deal like 300 shipped for the 6 bottles (3 nv cab 3 morisoli cab)

Club price is 20% off, minimum six bottles twice a year, but we ran a special (additional 5%) just for the Spring 2021 wine club since so many folks were not able to visit the winery this year due to COVID-19. Our club has given us incredible support during these times, so Josh insisted we show that our gratefulness loud and clear!

2018 Morisoli Zin will be an option for the Fall Wine Club. Can’t reveal the rest yet, since we are in the middle of doing a lot of production math. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Day 3 of the 18 Napa valley CS was tremendous. Can’t imagine a better cab at the <$50 price point. If you told me this was 18 bevan dr crane I would’ve said it’s drinking well.

1 Like

Wow… super high praise. Looks like I’ll be trying these out.

Seriously, they are the real deal, at an excellent price point.

I feel like Elyse had pretty good wines before with great fruit sources and workmanlike if untranscendent winemaking. Adding Russell Bevan to the mix is like tossing gasoline on an already hot fire.

Reading up on the SV it has some pretty prestigious neighbors. I’m surprised to not hear more about it. Looks like the 2015 is out there for pretty cheap. Intrigued on the 18.

How does NV this compare to Caterwaul, Myriad, Quivet or Rivers Marie? (Or other board sweethearts in the price realm)

1 Like

I haven’t had the '18 Caterwaul or Elyse side by side, but I like the Elyse significantly better. From what I remember, I feel the Elyse is more polished and refined, while the Caterwaul is a bit more run of the mill to me (I admittedly seem to like Caterwaul less than most). I haven’t had the '18 Myriad, Quivet or RM, but I think they cost about 35% - 50% more. I think Elyse NV Cab is the best Napa Cab I’ve had for about $50 or less (not counting those single vineyard Saunter Cabs that were half off on Berserker Day :slight_smile: )

2015 is a different style of wine.

I haven’t had the 18 myriad NV yet; I think historically the myriad has a little more full throttle and the Elyse has a bit silkier tannins.

1 Like

Is the '18 Cab only available though the wine club at this point?
I visited their website, it appears the '17s are the newest available to general public (I don’t have an account…yet…).

I think so, yes.

I got mine a little while back, as part of a preview offer they sent out via email. Glad I jumped on it.

1 Like