TN: 2016 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo

Expressive nose of raspberry, cherry, rose petals and earth. It is pure and layered, with great volume and such engaging earthy nuance. It finishes with excellent cut and chew and whilst the wine’s balance is such that it is thoroughly enjoyable now, there is so much more in the tank

Wish I was comfortable with current pricing; love her wines.

I was able to buy this at “reasonable” pricing up through the 2015 vintage, but can’t abide the jump from $158 to $399 with the 2016 vintage. Which, I’m almost certain is more about the importer, distributor, & retailers marking it up than the winery. I’m happy to have the case of her wines that I do have and will look forward to enjoying them in another 10-15+ years. Thanks for sharing the note.

Is Rare Wine Co. the distributor for the whole country?

I would think it is the retailer. I’ve paid the same retail, within $10, over the last 5 years. In Portland, you can find a $200 difference just based on the retailer.

it’s your retailer, i got my 16s (also much less than in years past) for the same price as 15

It’s all retail driven. We handle Rare Wine Co portfolio here in CT. Wholesale price jump from 2015 to 2016 for Bartolo Mascarello was $3.50 per bottle, $110 to $113.50

roughly same price as last year, it’s the secondary market that pushed it to $300+. But it’s pushed most of the vintages to 300+