The 2020 harvest?

Usually by now we are seeing lots of reports regarding the last harvest. I guess 2020 being what it is, the only thing I know right now worldwide about the 2020 harvest is that there was smoke in California. Maybe there have been reports one place or another and I have been too focused on other things to see them. Maybe many people on this board (say Jeff Leve or Panos) did not go to wine regions because of the pandemic. Whatever.

I thought a thread would be nice to see what we can expect from 2020. So much bad happened in 2020, it would at least be nice to see some great vintages come from it. I would appreciate any insight any of you have on the vintage in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Germany, Napa, Barolo, etc., etc., etc.

Id heard 2020 was ‘yet another’ good Bordeaux vintage, though dont know where it ranks on the last few years. How will the Bordeaux 2020 vintage be assessed? - Club Oenologique

Speaking personally, yet another good vintage in Bordeaux will just further drive EP fatigue - many wines from the last few years are available at original release price, and while availability of the first growths is comparatively low, i dont think prices have moved that much (?)

For myself, its likely to be a ‘buy my wines on allocation’ only vintage.

I’ve been conversing with Lars Carlberg at Hofgut Falkenstein. His impression for the Saar at least is that the wines are slightly less ripe and more racy and light compared to 2019. He thinks it’s their best vintage to date. He said he would be posting some barrel tasting notes in the next week or two.