Cantemerle

Hello,

I don’t drink Bordeaux often. But once in a while i do enjoy it. For that purpose i have found Cantemerle as a perfect solution, as older vintages are often available for more or less the same price as new ones.
Within the last year or so i have tasted the 1999 three times and 2000 once.

Do anyone who drinks more Bordeaux than me have some suggestions for vintages that could be interesting to look at for consumption from now on and within the next 5 years (or so)? And has anyone tried the 2016 vintage?

I think the 2010 vintage is excellent, and while pretty structured, 2025 seems to be a good starting point. I recall 2009 getting solid reviews at a 10-year retro conducted by, I think, Decanter magazine. I was not thrilled with 2005, but will sit them out and see. Incidentally, like many classic Bordeaux, these wines can age, especially those made during the Cordier era. I had some 1975 out of 375s a couple years ago, so delicious. I bought 2016 for the 15 year window. I also bought 2014 but not 2015, not my fave vintage.

Personally, I think it’s one of the better QPRs in wine.

Agree with Robert: the 2010 is singing right now.

1983 is excellent, 1979 also good, but better in magnum.

These.

1982, 1983. 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, and 1996.

I had the 1989 on NYE:

1989 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (12/31/2020)
I can’t overstate my love for the Cordier stable in the 1980s and this reinforces that passion. From a 375 ml bottle in a Gabriel Glas Gold, savory leather and a streak of mint play off brooding dark currant to deliver fine depth. It initially seemed a little dilute, but 30 minutes of air brought out the fine tannin and acidic structure it needed to frame the flavors. While fine on its own, it really took off when paired with a prime ribeye. A terrific final red for this challenging year. (92 pts.)

I am still consuming a case of ‘66 Cantemerle, still alive but probably won’t last for much longer.

Love the ‘10 but not so much for ‘09.

I have a 6 pack of the 2010. Sounds like it’s time to try one?

1996 is excellent.

Specifically re: 2016, it was very, very good last summer. At some point I’d expect it to shut down.

But if you want wine with some age, the 1983 usually goes for ~$55 at auction. No brainer. It’s fabulous.

I quite agree about older Cantemerles, which were marvellous - and I’m delighted to read that the legendary 89 is still going strong! But I’m not so sure about more recent ones. The youngest I’ve tried was the 09, which was enjoyable, but not as good as Citran 09 at half the price. The style swings are a little problematic too, ranging from quite classic like the 06 or the 08, to Loire-like with the 09, or full of wood and vanilla like the 01, so you don’t really know what to expect. I buy some every year in the hope of another 89, but I’m beginning to lose faith.
Lasse, I don’t know what your experiences are with Crus Bourgeois, but a wine like Citran or Caronne Ste Gemme would be a good and cheaper alternative.

I had the 2009 a few months back. Lovely but extremely primary still.

It really is a lovely wine, had it about two years ago. The La Lagune 1983 is as well. Both by Cordier then.

I have no experience with it. But will definitely check it out! Thanks.

And seems like i should try and find some 80’s stuff :slightly_smiling_face:.

+1 for Caronne st Gemme.

1983, 1989, and 1996 were my favourite ever Cantemerles, I have high hopes for the 2010, but it was still a little tough when I last had it 18 months ago.

The 2010 is already good on the second day.

I’ll add to chorus of recs for the 1983. I went through a three pack over the last few years and all were fantastic.

I’ve had 2000, 2009, and 2010 recently. All three were young but drinking well for my tastes after a long decant. I thought 2000 was the least ready of the bunch.

Now that you mention La Lagune… have you tasted 1994? (I can get it really cheap :grin: )

If you want to learn more about Cantemerle, there is a nice hagiography on Amazon.

I tapped up a review last year.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9180

The last one I had was the 1983 a little while ago, which was quite good still.