A few good sips: fizz and burgs

Had to go by Co-op and find some wines for NYE, surprisingly interesting selection.

Gaston Chicquet Brut en Magnum disg. 11/19 $105 at Co-op. This got smashed pretty fast so not a bunch of time to evaluate but delicious and balanced champagne, would happily buy some to age.

2013 Pierre Usseglio CdP Blanc $39 at Co-op. Waxy with a lanolin character. Showcased some lemon and underripe pineapple along with some yellow apple. Had good underlying acidity and went well with some salty meats.

2017 Yves Boyer Martenot Meursault Les Tillets $68 was downright awesome on opening. Nose of corn nuts, lemon, orange rind and some spice and florals. Palate is linear and bright. Killer wine.

2009 Dugat Py Gevrey Chambertin Vielles Vignes $120 at Co-op. Was thinking this would be rich and somewhat hedonistic with producer + vintage, instead it was balanced and more thoughtful expression of Pinot Noir. Red fruits, spice, earth, flowers all highlight a classic Gevrey palate that is a bit more muscular and chunky than Vosne. Overall very solid wine.

Happy 2021!

Very cooperative wines!

When you are expecting Barefoot and grocery store brands, walking in and seeing a legitimate wine shop was…shocking. The Les Tillets was unreal, especially as Roulot’s plot is fallow.

Yes, great sounding wines from such a humble store. I don’t know Martenot so well, but Tillers is a good vineyard.

Javillier has a big holding and makes good wines that cost peanuts if you buy them in Burgundy. They even have a shop in the centre of the village where you can taste and buy wines as well as tasting in the Domaine.

I have avoided Martenot due to POX, but this was a low risk wine. Will keep an eye out for Javillier. Have liked Labet Les Tillets in past too.

Nice! Dugat-Py has become underrated.

I think I lumped Dugat-Py with Claude Dugat, Dominique Laurent, Perrot-Minot and a few others accused of being modern Burgundy.

Thanks Kris.

I wouldn’t lump Dugat-Py into the modern camp. Serious vine age, extremely low yields, long elevage and wines that are absolutely built for the cellar.

I definitely flipped on my incorrect assumption. That and you just don’t see them where I live so never really got to test my assumption.