Wednesday night TNs: A trio of X-Novo Chardonnays from Walter Scott

While I have done tastings like this with the Goodfellow Chardonnays, I think this is the first time I’ve tried multiple vintages of the X-Novo side-by-side. I would have difficulty picking an ultimate favorite between the '16 and the '18. The '16 is understandably more ready (although all three wines are still tasting young), but the balance on the '18 is pretty impressive for such a young wine. I guess that I’ve caught the '16 just as it is starting to blossom, the '18 before it shuts down, and the '17 when it is squarely in that awkward, transitional stage. My better half is grilling up some salmon burgers tonight, and I think these Walter Scott wines should provide a nice pairing with the food.

• 2016 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (1/6/2021)
    Expansive on the palate with lively acidity and good persistence. Tart fruit. Reductive petrol note on the nose. Quite Burgundian, a pleasure to drink now, but it also feels like better things may still come to those who wait.
  • 2017 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (1/6/2021)
    Less reductive on the nose than the '16 I just tried, but also less expansive on the palate. Seems lighter-bodied as well - today, I find this less compelling than the 2016.
  • 2018 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (1/6/2021)
    Might be my first time trying this vintage. And as young as this is, very appealing. More reductive on the nose than the '17 but less than the '16. Focused & lively on the palate - at this point, not as expansive as the 2016, but there is some serious potential here.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Salivating!

RT

That 2016 is so damn good…

1. Jelly. Didn’t know about them then…

That sounds like an awesome comparison Bob. Love it. I have some of all of those in the cellar. Haven’t had a bad x-novo yet. I’ve been hesitant to baby kill an x-novo pinot yet but with the notes from the barrel tasting I missed, it sounds like a serious competition to my favorite the Sojourner. Any opinions from other tasters or did you pound all 3 flirtysmile

Sean

My wife is very sensitive to that reductive petrol scent on the nose, so she didn’t care for the 2016. Her favorite may have been the 2017, which was clearly my least favorite, so long story short, not a lot of consensus in the Hughes household regarding this particular tasting.

I finished the 2016 last night, and if anything, I liked it even better on day 2.

Sad I haven’t had the chance to try the 2016, but the 2019 from the ‘barrel tasting’ was so extraordinary, I’m looking forward to my case when that ships.

Oh, and I enjoyed the 2018 recently in a very special place recently…
tempImagesOANsF.gif

Great notes and thanks for sharing. The 2013 Walter Scott X-Novo Chardonnay was excellent over the holidays. No sign of decline.

James

NICE [cheers.gif]

Just finished a bottle of the 2013 a minute ago. It was excellent and I agree-no sign of decline. Not as reductive as more recent vintages but still zippy and lime citrus and stone and lanolin forward. Delicious.