Recommendations/Advice/Suggestions

Hi All,

Thank you for reading and I was hoping to tap into your expertise. My wife and I are celebrating 15 years of marriage and I thought for our anniversary to serve a wine from the year we were married (2006) or a year that one of our children were born (2008 & 2011). If possible could you give me the more granular options rather than the try to find one wine by a hard to find winery. I am willing to spend some dough here so would prefer for something memorable. Her tastes are more to fruit forward sweeter wines (the kinds of cabs that were popular in the 60s and earlier from Napa), Malbec’s, or Syrah’s. Maybe a sauternes might be a good option. I have never tried. I have a bottle of 2008 champagne for dinner but also wanted to have a good bottle. I appreciate your suggestions.

Hi Jason,

First of all, congrats on your 15 years of marriage!!

If you and your wife like fruity Syrah/Grenache and want to stick to 2006, I can suggest you to choose a Châteauneuf-du-Pape (Château de Beaucastel, Château La Nerthe, Domaine Santa Duc,…). The 2006 vintage was excellent and you’re right in the apogy period to enjoy it! You can also opt for similar appellations like Gigondas and Vacqueyras.

If you want to stick to sweet white wines, I’d suggest you to try a Sauternes (again excellent vintage) or a Tokaji Aszu (Oremus or Château Dereszla) from Hungary (excellent vintage there too). They’re both great wines and ready to drink now!!

Hope this helps! :wink:

2006 was also a great year in Tuscany. Lots of supertuscans might work for you. I think you may get more answers from others if you are more specific on how much $$. What is expensive to one is not necessarily expensive to another.

2006 Dominus is a sneaky good vintage and has that fruit-forward presentation that I think your wife would like. I’ve had two in the past two years and they have both been delicious. As a plus, it is widely available [cheers.gif]

Congrats. Here’s another sneaky recommendation based upon your comments: 2006 Hourglass Cabernet Sauvignon- it so delicious, smooth and approachable now although it has the structure to go another 15-20 years before reaching its apogee. ~$150 on Wine Searcher.

Enjoy the celebration.

Congrats!

If she/you like domestic reds and Syrah, I highly recommend 2006 Saxum Broken Stones. It’s a GSM blend from Paso Robles and was really excellent when I had it last year.

Also, I saw you mention Sauternes. If you decide to get a dessert wine, I just had a 2006 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Beerenauslese that is relatively young, but showing incredibly well. Excellent wine that I’d take over pretty much pretty much any Sauternes (although, I always prefer Riesling over Sauternes).

having recently drunk some 06 beaucastel i can vouch that its showing beautiful and should be good for at least 5 more years.

Yes the 06 Beaucastel I got recently from WineAccess was drinking perfectly. Great opportunity now to drink it if you can find a bottle.