TN: 2000 La Grange Neuve de Figeac, Saint-Emilion n/k/a Petite Figeac

F*ck Dry January! We are in a week, and era, where alcohol is fundamental to our very well-being. I cracked yesterday after 43.5 hours dry.

And what a way to break such an incredibly lengthy, painful fast.

This is classic, old school St Emilion. They don’t make ‘em this way anymore. This is Magdelaine in style. Red fruits with a minty top note. Love the crispness to this wine, the sweet-tart range of red fruits, dry earth/sous bois, leather, dry tobacco leaves. Some fruits creeping into the darker profile, crisp plums. Framed by some old cedar barn plank. Textured, chewy finish. Has that old school Bordeaux perfume that is just so intoxicating. I’m sitting on this wine second night open, and it is drinking so beautifully. Was a little tight on opening last night. I suggest a reasonable decant. I have a couple more 2000s of this wine, and while I think they are in the zone now, I will give at least one that 5-7+ year extra window. Tannins could soften just a touch. I have a 1985 as well. No clue how that will drink, but the ‘85 Magdelaine is magnificent.

Here is my note from a couple years ago on the delicious 2005:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146857&p=2431801&hilit=La+grange+neuve#p2431801

1D565CC9-29C1-4DD0-8761-851CB4AA445A.jpeg

1 Like

January has always struck me as an odd time to go dry, since it’s such a horrible time of the year - now in high summer, I can understand! But I always admire those that do.
Sounds like a great way of easing back into the saddle!
I’ve never tried this wine - oh well, another on the shopping list!

How does it compare to Figeac 2000 itself? Is the latter worth the price hike?

Popped another one last night, and like before, just singing on the second night. This is a wonderful wine, an amazing second label. So old school, and the Magdelaine reference is quite apropos. This wine will go long. I had a 1985 earlier in the year that was beautiful.

According to Leve’s website, Figeac was the first major Chateau in Bordeaux to make a second label. #winning.

have you had the 2014?

I thought their 2nd was Petit Figeac?

There are so many estates with that in their name though.

It is, the name changed