Aubert and Kistler Dropping on the Same Day

Jan. 12. Just go the notice from Kistler.

Occidental is Jan. 12. That’s Steve Kistler’s new winery focused on Pinots.

Kistler is on the 12th as well,

Dear Mr.,

Our Spring 2021 Release will begin January 12, 2021 and end February 5, 2021. Your allocation email will arrive on January 12th.

If we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at 707-823-5603 or email us at orders@kistlervineyards.com.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to sharing our wines with you.

All of us at Kistler

Got the email as well. Does Kistler still require a 12 bottle purchase? I love their wines but don’t drink enough chardonnay to buy or want 12 bottles.

I think Occidental is January 14.
Also never never heard of the running fence vineyard.
Dear Kenneth,

Happy New Year!

We are proud to announce the Occidental 2021 Spring Release, which includes our four single-vineyard pinot noirs.

2018 Bodega Headlands Vineyard Cuvée Elizabeth
2018 Running Fence Vineyard Cuvée Catherine
2018 SWK Vineyard
2018 Occidental Station Vineyard

Our Spring Release will begin January 14th at 8am PST. At that time, you will be able to access your allocation and place your order.

Running Fence is a relatively new vineyard - on the ridge with the winery. Apparently they started planting it in 2012. More info here.

1 Like

Interesting. I hadn’t realized that the Cuvee Catherine Running Fence is not the same as the older Cuvee Catherine.

Does anyone know what specific Kistler wines are being released in this offer?
Im new to the active list.

Lately they have been offering a pre-selected six pack

1 Like

Since I didn’t receive a "save the date"email from Aubert, I called the winert yesterday. They confirmed I will be getting an offer on Tuesday. I just made the list last year so I was thrilled. It’s one of two of my favorite Chardonnays (though very different in style, Kutch is my other). But I will say that last year was my first experience with their Pinot. I am a huge Pinotphile, but I was so disappointed in theirs. It was a good syrah, but in no way resembled a Pinot. I sold off the rest to a fellow Beserker (including the WS #2 WOTY). Just not my style at all.

aubert pinot isn’t for those that self-identify as pinotphiles. this isn’t really news.

1 Like

I know I ordered no more than 6 bottles last release, my first offer. It could have been a second tier offer as I think i got on the list pretty quickly.

I once asked the team at Occidental to explain the Occidental Station Vineyard history and received a helpful timeline from them.

Steve Kistler planted the Occidental Station Vineyard in 1998 and produced a wine called “Occidental Station Vineyard Cuvee Catherine” from this site under the Kistler Vineyards label until Steve founded his new project with his family, Occidental, in 2011.

From 2011-2015, Occidental bottled the “Occidental Station Vineyard Cuvee Catherine.” With the 2016 vintage, the “Cuvee Catherine” designation moved to Occidental’s newest single-vineyard bottling. That wine is the Running Fence Vineyard Cuvee Catherine. The “Occidental Station Vineyard Cuvee Catherine” became simply “Occidental Station Vineyard.”

Because Occidental identifies as a coastal brand, Steve wanted the two cuvees named for his daughters, Catherine and Elizabeth, to come from their coastal headlands vineyards. The current Occidental Station Vineyard bottling that Occidental produces is the exact same wine as it’s always been, the only thing that has changed is the name.

I hope this is useful.

1 Like