2015 Tenuta San Leonardo - San Leonardo

This is a wine and winery I have followed for some 25 years. A Bordeaux blend that is unique and that I would say does not speak Italian. So consistent over the years. CS (60), Carmenere (30) and Merlot (10). On the palate I always think Cabernet Franc because of the spicy herbal/bell pepper on entry. Floral nose and bright red and dark fruits on the palate. A fine mineral spine. A wine that makes you salivate. These wines, from my experience, really benefit aging but I had to pop one based on a friends recommendation. I would love to try the 2015 along side a 1997 some time in the future. I really love this wine. (97)

1 Like

I agree with your description of this wine…It’s never been something I’ve enjoyed because of the herbal/green/bell pepper notes. (I too always immediately think of Cab Franc, and I’m not a fan of Loire reds or of Bordeaux that leans toward the leafy/green/bell pepper). Lots of folks do love this one, but it’s not for me! I have had this in a number of vintages (including the '97 several times) over the last 20 years.

Yeah, that herbal thing may be off putting to some but I love it. I also find that aspect to fade into the background as the wine opens. Deeper level of fruit than Loire CF.

The 1990 was fantastic years ago, and the 1995 was no slouch either. Haven’t had this one in a while, though. If you like this you might like Serafini & Vidotto’s Rosso dell’ Abazia.