Anyone still prefer Riedel’s Sommeliers series?

These used to be the gold standard. Is that still the case now that there is a plethora of very good stems. If you do use them, which ones? I still use the Bordeaux and Burgundy ones.

Thanks

2 Likes

I use Sauternes

1 Like

I still use the Bordeaux

My bordeaux stems have literally been collecting dust for at least a few years now. Used to love em…now I just reach for my Gabriel Golds. Every. Single. Time.

Maybe I’ll bust one out this weekend and take it for another spin!

That is the one stem (Gabriel) I have yet to try.

1 Like

Sauternes but Zalto burgs.

I enjoy them occasionally.
I don’t enjoy cleaning them.
champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

1 Like

Never use them

I basically use sensory for everything now, except dessert wines, because the pours just look comically small.

I still use the Burgundy stems occasionally when it’s just the two of us, usually next to a different glass to observe the differences. I also very occasionally like the Montrachet stems, which is a surprise since they barely curve in at all. I always thought the Sommelier syrah stems were beautiful, but never bought any.

1 Like

I love them!

I used to have the hand blown Burgundy stems and I loved them. They got lost in a move and I replaced them with the Zalto Burgundy stems out of curiosity and I have to say that I much prefer the Riedel. I bought two Zaltos and the first one broke within two weeks. The remaining one is SUCH a pain in the ass to clean. Part of me is just waiting for that Zalto to break so I can justify buying the Riedels again.

1 Like

Sensory

After getting a variety of Grassls, I don’t use the Somms much. I’ve done some “glass” horizontal tastings and found the Somms (Burg and Bord) both hit me with more alcohol on the nose than the Grassl 1855 and Cru. I also don’t have to dig around with my nose in the Grassls as much.

I do find the Somms are better for some that I know need some air but maybe not decanting the whole bottle, like a big Coravin pull.

Looks almost exactly like the Riedel burg glasses. Are they just much wider?

You’ve gotta try one buddy. They really are the best all around glasses that I’ve ever tried, beating Zaltos, Riedel Somms, etc. Everything from how they feel in your hand all the way to how they accentuate the nose of a wine is just ideal. BD purchase maybe??
images.jpeg-3.jpg

Sold. Does it make a difference between the gold vs standard?

They’re just a totally diff hand feel and nose IMO.

Have 2 Burgundy stems, and, quite honestly, hate them compared to the Grassl Cru. I’m not sure I’ll ever use the Riedels.

That aside, I also have a couple of the Sauternes, which I think are excellent, and also a couple of the whisky glasses, which are my preferred for whisky.

I think the Sauternes glasses are the best ones on the market for Sauternes, by far. I don’t use any of the other but have a few of the comically large burgundy stems left. I’ll never use them.