TN: 2007 Dehlinger Cabernet Sauvignon East Ridge

• 2007 Dehlinger Cabernet Sauvignon East Ridge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/8/2021)
    Quite spectacular. 14.6% abv. Dark ruby, very aromatic. On the palate, ripe plums, graphite, leather, mint and a hint of cedar. Wonderfully integrated, power, complexity and finesse. Very deep and long. Suave. Could pass for a well aged Palmer. Outstanding. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the data point. I have two untasted bottles. I remember asking Carmen about this wine when it was released and she said it was more Bordeaux in style than the other 07 Cab.

omg I’m so jealous - love the note. Amazing for such a relatively weak vintage, too.

Todd, I had an ‘07 “Estate” Dehlinger Cab recently and it was very good, but not nearly this good. I just wish I had another case or more of the "East Ridge!’

I don’t even remember seeing East Ridge Cab on any of the offers by the time I started buying Dehlinger, dammit! Might have to check auctions

There is no reason why Sonoma County cannot produce more wines like this

I bought a bunch of regular 07,08 and 09 dehlinger cabs for dirt cheap last year. I enjoyed them but they weren’t incredible. Clearly this is a different animal.

Love older Dehlinger wines. Have had the '04 and '05 Cabs and the '06 Claret in the past few years and all have been really good.

I’ve wondered about this myself. For some reason, great wine in Sonoma County seems mostly limited to Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Chardonnay.

Dehlinger has been producing great Sonoma County cabs for a few decades at least. Another longstanding Sonoma cab vineyard that stands out is Montecillo (Arnot-Roberts, Bedrock, Turley, Carlisle). I suppose when consumers think California cabernet, they focus on Napa.

A bottle opened last year was stuck in limbo, it just never blossomed. This bottle is from the original Cab vines planted in 1975 before they were torn out.

The bottle this weekend was bold and flavorful, it delivered with waves of fruit. Still purple in color with years to go, it is drinking well now.

Really good Sonoma Cab and probably the best Cab from RRV.

Finally drank through the half case of 07, 08 and 09 of the base cab purchased from an auction lot at a silly price a few years ago. They were not blockbusters by any means. Certainly a more restrained style but plenty of structure left and a decent amount of fruit. Really enjoyed them.

Di Costanzo’s montecillo is another amazing example.

I just opened a 1997 Chateau Soverain Cabernet Sauvignon from Alexander Valley last week. It blew me away how this had aged and had no signs of bricking. It was complex, layered and balanced. It continued to develop in the glass over the night!