TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

#1 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

• 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/8/2021)
    Every once in a while I drink a wine that plugs me in to where it comes from. I took one sniff, one sip, and the wine just screamed OAKVILLE! I don’t really know much about this bottling. I don’t really know what’s in the 2017. I do know that it speaks of place. It’s restrained yet has endless depth. The structure is stately, rather than rustic. The fruit is dusty and understated. It’s a modern classic. My remaining bottle will be a tough open. (96 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

#2 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

From the Bedrock website:

"One of our smallest vineyards, this Oakville gem is also one of the most important vineyards we work with. In an area defined by tightly spaced, manicured, irrigated Cabernet (what some might call gardened vs. farmed), Oakville Farmhouse vineyard is the lone survivor of a previous age—one in which dry-farmed, head-trained vines of multiple varieties dominated the landscape. The oldest remaining vineyard in Oakville, the vineyard is planted to a unique blend of varieties dominated by Negrette, Petite Sirah (once the most widely planted variety in Napa), Mondeuse, Zinfandel, Carignan, a smattering of whites (Colombard, Semillon, Chenin Blanc) and a few very tasty Black Muscat vines. What always amazes us about the wine is that even though it has no real black Bordeaux varieties in the blend, it still smells like a wine from western bench of Oakville—full of cassis, black raspberry, tobacco and pepper. It also is a veritable bargain compared to its neighbors!"
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

#3 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 9th, 2021, 8:27 am From the Bedrock website:

"One of our smallest vineyards, this Oakville gem is also one of the most important vineyards we work with. In an area defined by tightly spaced, manicured, irrigated Cabernet (what some might call gardened vs. farmed), Oakville Farmhouse vineyard is the lone survivor of a previous age—one in which dry-farmed, head-trained vines of multiple varieties dominated the landscape. The oldest remaining vineyard in Oakville, the vineyard is planted to a unique blend of varieties dominated by Negrette, Petite Sirah (once the most widely planted variety in Napa), Mondeuse, Zinfandel, Carignan, a smattering of whites (Colombard, Semillon, Chenin Blanc) and a few very tasty Black Muscat vines. What always amazes us about the wine is that even though it has no real black Bordeaux varieties in the blend, it still smells like a wine from western bench of Oakville—full of cassis, black raspberry, tobacco and pepper. It also is a veritable bargain compared to its neighbors!"
This really does sum up the vineyard. It is a real California treasure. There are numerous "field blend" wines from many producers, several of them are pretty famous (Geyserville, Evaangelho etc etc) but none are close to the make up of Oakville Farmhouse.

Tom

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Sort of preferred the mystery. ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Rich Brown »

Man, that was an awesome note David! I enjoy all of your TN's but this one made me want to run to my offsite and grab a 17!

I've been debating about checking in on a 13, but considering literally all of Morgan's 13's that I've opened are incredibly structured and begging for more time, I've (so far) decided against it.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Yea this is special stuff, been buying it since first release. Didn’t get any wish-listed this last cycle, so will have to pick up the 18 in the grey market.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by T Welch »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:15 pm Yea this is special stuff, been buying it since first release. Didn’t get any wish-listed this last cycle, so will have to pick up the 18 in the grey market.
The 2019 was the latest release, Robert.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:13 pm Man, that was an awesome note David! I enjoy all of your TN's but this one made me want to run to my offsite and grab a 17!

I've been debating about checking in on a 13, but considering literally all of Morgan's 13's that I've opened are incredibly structured and begging for more time, I've (so far) decided against it.
Rich, my note above tells you how much I love this vineyard but having said that, unlike David’s bottle mine a couple months ago was NOWHERE near ready and I had decanted it for several hours.

I would go for the 13 with a couple hour decant.

Tom

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by R. Frankel »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 9th, 2021, 9:38 am Sort of preferred the mystery. ;)
Honestly with all these varietals it’s still a mystery. Black Muscat? Mondeuse? Colombard? My imagination is failing me.
Rich Frankel

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Rich Brown »

Tom DeBiase wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:52 pm
Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 12:13 pm Man, that was an awesome note David! I enjoy all of your TN's but this one made me want to run to my offsite and grab a 17!

Rich, my note above tells you how much I love this vineyard but having said that, unlike David’s bottle mine a couple months ago was NOWHERE near ready and I had decanted it for several hours.

Tom
Gotcha, thanks Tom!

Honestly, I'm still pretty hesitant to pop a 13 farmhouse even with a big decant , as its such a structure vintage. Maybe the move is decanting a 14 for half the day!

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

FWIW, I poured a couple of ounces to check the wine, but didn’t pour a full glass for another four hours.

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Tom
Gotcha, thanks Tom!

Honestly, I'm still pretty hesitant to pop a 13 farmhouse even with a big decant , as its such a structure vintage. Maybe the move is decanting a 14 for half the day!
I hear ya Rich, 2013 is a great but structured vintage. I found my note on the 2017 Bedrock Oakville Farmhouse (and a few others). Here it is, scroll down to it.

https://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewto ... t=oakville

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Rich Brown »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 9th, 2021, 2:35 pm FWIW, I poured a couple of ounces to check the wine, but didn’t pour a full glass for another four hours.
Nice, thanks David! Was there any left for day 2 by chance? Assuming not....but curious how this one would show 24 hours later.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Rich Brown »

Tom DeBiase wrote: January 9th, 2021, 2:40 pm
Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Tom
Gotcha, thanks Tom!

I hear ya Rich, 2013 is a great but structured vintage. I found my note on the 2017 Bedrock Oakville Farmhouse (and a few others). Here it is, scroll down to it.

https://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewto ... t=oakville
Great notes Tom - no idea how I missed these the first time around! Thanks for linking!

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 3:35 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 9th, 2021, 2:35 pm FWIW, I poured a couple of ounces to check the wine, but didn’t pour a full glass for another four hours.
Nice, thanks David! Was there any left for day 2 by chance? Assuming not....but curious how this one would show 24 hours later.
Yes, but I am leaving it for tomorrow.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Rich Brown »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 9th, 2021, 3:45 pm
Rich Brown wrote: January 9th, 2021, 3:35 pm
Yes, but I am leaving it for tomorrow.
Even better :)

Thanks David - looking forward to hearing round 2 of your note!

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#17 Post by H Wallace Jr »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:45 pm
I took one sniff, one sip, and the wine just screamed OAKVILLE!
This.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I kinda regret passing this year, got some 2018 tho.

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by P Turk »

Thanks for all the notes on the Farmhouse. I’m sitting on a ‘14, “16-19 vertical, so look forward to trying one in 1-2 years.
Phil

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Brian Tuite »

Popped a '15 tonight, letting it air and come to temp. Kinda chilly in the cellar this time of year.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Drew Goin

#21 Post by Drew Goin »

Amazing tasting notes! [cheers.gif]

I have had Cabs that screamed "Oakville", but never anything like a Zin/mixed blacks.

From the Wayback Machine page for the School House winery's website (via Internet Archive):

"History - The Vineyard and the Wines:

"The original vines of which a few still produce red wine grapes were propagated in1890. This block was the classic mixed-black field blend, a very common vineyard planting technique of the times. Interplanted were Zinfandel, Carignane, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouchet and Grand Noir, and several other varieties which were picked together and vinified into deep dark red table wine...".

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Brian Tuite »

• 2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/10/2021)
    Notes from Day 2. Tobacco, cedar, graphite, cassis and black currant greet the nose. I would say it screams Oakville but someone else stole that line. [wink.gif]
    Earthy black raspberry, spice, layered, great depth and balance. Chalky tart finish, more spice. On par with every other vintage I’ve tasted, meaning it’s freaking awesome. Still lots of room to evolve and soften but being able to pull the different nuances of a young wine is half the fun for me. My other bottle gets stashed in the growing vertical.

Posted from CellarTracker
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#23 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I had the last glass of the 2017 tonight, and honestly it had not changed much. It was still all about dirt, and not about fruit.

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by J.Vizuete »

F7A732A6-58DD-4329-A121-92361F0F43E4.jpeg
David, if you think you’re not an influencer, think again! Watch out Fu ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John
CT: jviz

OwenB
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by OwenB »

J.Vizuete wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:12 pm F7A732A6-58DD-4329-A121-92361F0F43E4.jpeg

David, if you think you’re not an influencer, think again! Watch out Fu ;)
I lobbed in an early bid around $65 and got blown away. Was definitely thinking the same thing about some newfound excitement from this group.
    B @ $ H @ M

Mark Lewis
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#26 Post by Mark Lewis »

Expensive weekend! [swoon.gif]

Rich Brown
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#27 Post by Rich Brown »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:06 pm I had the last glass of the 2017 tonight, and honestly it had not changed much. It was still all about dirt, and not about fruit.
    Thanks again for the extended look David - appreciate it!

And damn....final hammer on Winebid was high! No doubt a direct correlation to this thread!

D@vid Bu3ker
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#28 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Rich Brown wrote: January 10th, 2021, 8:31 pm
    D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 10th, 2021, 7:06 pm I had the last glass of the 2017 tonight, and honestly it had not changed much. It was still all about dirt, and not about fruit.

And damn....final hammer on Winebid was high! No doubt a direct correlation to this thread!
    I wasn’t looking. What was the final number?

Rich Brown
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#29 Post by Rich Brown »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 11th, 2021, 3:38 am

Looks like $113 [wow.gif]

D@vid Bu3ker
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#30 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Rich Brown wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:14 am

Given what high quality Oakville Cabernet goes for that's not so bad.

Rich Brown
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#31 Post by Rich Brown »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:33 am
    Rich Brown wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:14 am

Given what high quality Oakville Cabernet goes for that's not so bad.
    A very good point! A relative bargain compared to cabs from the area! But $113 is substantially higher than I've ever seen an Oakville Farmhouse (or any Bedrock wine other than the Weil syrah series) sell for. I think you need to stop posting notes ;)

D@vid Bu3ker
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#32 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

There won't be any additional Oakville Farmhouse notes for a while. That should cool down the market. ;)

Jeff_M.
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#33 Post by Jeff_M. »

Glad I was able to buy these on release. Have them tucked away at my off site to resist the urge to open young.
    Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
    2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
    1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
    2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Return to “Wine Talk”