Order from NY to ship to CA?

Hi,

Looking at ordering from Empire Wine to ship to CA.
I can order the same wines from Mission Liquor in L.A. which is 100 miles away but prices are higher and I can get free shipping with Empire.
Any reason not to order from them?
I have never ordered from either vendor and I am always concerned about the wine being being bad from improper storage.
Wines are from Spain, France and CA.

Thanks

I recently ordered from Empire with no issues at all. It came highly recommended from others on this board. To be honest I order outside my state only to get wines I cannot get through my local retailers. In many cases I have found my local retailers will work with me on pricing.

I have had great luck with empire wine.

Empire is fine, and a very large part of their business is shipped’ If you are ever in the area on the way to the Adirondacks or the Hudson River Valley, the order-ahead-pick-up service is excellent.

I found out unfortunately free shipping only covers a case of one of the wines.
But because of their lower prices it is still cheaper overall.
Based on the positive feedback here I will probably go ahead.

Whaaaaa?
Please say more.

I live in SF and have no problem ordering wine from NY, particularly if it is European wine. I figure a wine from Europe would at some point have to make it across the Atlantic and then across the continental US to get to me, so even if I buy from an in-state merchant I know that same journey had to happen. Plus - no sales tax ordering from NY!

I do generally try to source California/Napa wine locally. It just doesn’t feel right buying wine that has travelled many thousands of miles when it was grown 50 miles away.

I have bought from them a couple of times, always good service. As others have said, I will always try to buy locally, even if pricing is a bit more, to support my local retailers. But there are some wines that are available on the east coast, but never make it out to the west coast.

I order from empire all the time. They’re great.

Some stores claim they will match/beat competitors pricing. In the few situations where I have tried to take them up on that offer, its usually a process like they have to summon a district manager, get a print advertisement from a newspaper less than 3 days old, and then issue a credit voucher to be mailed from the accounting department etc.

So I stopped asking and don’t play the Moroccan rug bazaar game with wine merchants.

My countrymen of course thinks its all part of the shopping experience. Even at the place below, my family insisted that if would hurt the owners feelings if we didn’t haggle.
IMG_2432.JPG

Empire is a big box shop that carries boutique wines. Nice selection. Fun store to hang around and browse.

I have bought from Empire a few times always with good service and prompt delivery. the owner is French

1 Like

Are you guys talking about EmpireWine.com or Empire State of wine (French owner)?

Marcus S’ comment above makes me wonder a bit on which store.

My limited experience with Empire State of Wine was good.

Empire State of Wine is what I am talking about

You’re correct, I was thinking of Empire wine in the Albany area. I know nothing about the other one.