TN: 2001 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape

This excellent Charvin makes me re-think (1) why I no longer buy as much CDP as I used to buy and (2) why I have such a tendency to drink them young. The latter, first, a quality, young CDP really does taste great for my palate; and second, yea, 2007 and Cambie sorta killed my desire to continue in this region. I’ve slowly gone back to buying again, focusing only on producers that I have loved for many years, like Beaucastel, Pegau, and of course, Charvin. Of the three, I have always found Charvin more classic and elegant, and more on the red-fruit spectrum.

Well, enough rambling, this almost 20-year old beauty had killer aromatics, like a Provencal spice rack. No, like seared lamb liberally spiced in rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Wafts of garrigue as you stroll through the Mediterranean hills, first summer day, a lingering breeze from the winter mistral. You close your eyes just taking in the fragrance of the place, a region known for its sense of place. This is an image-casting wine, brings back some great memories of Provence. The weight on the wine is impeccable, enough for a hearty veal plate and summer vegetables, without dominating the meal itself. Shows some meat, light tar, dry earth and a darker range of fruits and kirsch with some airing, finishes with a little chewiness. I adore this vintage. Probably my favorite vintage in CDP over the last 20 years. And this wine still has years to go. It’s in a perfect zone and will stay this way easily for 5+ more years.

(94 pts.)

1 Like

If I could find some, I would reload here. Great wine. Nice note.

Great note, need to find one in my cellar to try soon, thanks

I just recently backfilled with some 04 and 05. The 2016 is beautiful. And don’t forget the Cotes du Rhône, Charvin is best of class in that category. I really like the 18 but bear in mind it is a richer showing given the warm year.

And, Charvin sells for very reasonable prices.

Oh good I still have one left in cellar. Thanks for the note

I drank my last bottle of this in the last month or so and it was indeed be wonderful, as it has been since about 06. I will miss it. But, really, there is one good Charvin after another to keep you happy. I have said this before, but there a number of domaines making very good, non-modernist, CdP. Some of them get lots of press like Pegau and Vieux Telegraphe. Some are well reviewed but not that high profile for some reason, like Domaine Ferrand. And, some, for reasons I don’t get, are relatively unspoken about, like Eddie Feraud (now I think called Domaine Feraud, since Eddie’s son, Yannck, has long been the winemaker) and Bois de Boursan.

Great bottle. Drank mine but this would worthy of backfilling. Charvin is one of the few CdP I still like and will buy. My list looks like Jonathan’s above.