2013 Felsina CCR cooked/variable?

So, I’ve been saying since it came out that I was surprised at how open and ready to go the 2013 Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva has been. Well, now I wonder if the case I got was exposed to some heat. My past few bottles have all seemed advanced, with one that was outright oxidized. Of course I realize that there could be cork variability at play here, but between the early openness and the fact that all of my most recent bottles haven’t performed as expected, I do suspect heat damage. Please understand that I am in no way blaming the importer. I realize that this might not have happened when they owned the wine, and that things can go wrong with shipments even when they’re supposed to be refrigerated. I do think it’s worth mentioning the importer in case anyone has bottles from the same shipment: Ruby Wines in Massachusetts.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with this wine, same importer or not?

I don’t know the importer since the bottle was recycled years ago but I had the same experience with a bottle of 2013 Rancia bought on release in Chicago.

Had a couple 2015 Bibbiano CCR that were undrinkable. Note I sent back to the retailer was burnt rubber, no taste, and then horrible after taste. Not sure of the importer. I did return both bottles for credit.

We sell Felsina here in CT. I believe Felsina does not have a national Importer, but exports directly to Distributors in each state. In most states Distributor are able to import also. Ruby is a Massachusetts distributor, they would import
Felsina, but only for the Mass market. At one time Felsina was represented nationally by Vinifera

Thanks. I did know Ruby is also the distributor here, but wasn’t sure if they import for any other markets or not. I guess the only bottles from the same shipment would have been purchased in Massachusetts.

Hmm, the one I had last year was flawed as well (purchased in NJ). I have one other bottle which I will have to check on soon.

1 Like