TN: 2016 Château de Beaucastel Côtes du Rhône Coudoulet de Beaucastel

• 2016 Château de Beaucastel Côtes du Rhône Coudoulet de Beaucastel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (1/10/2021)
    Decanted 4hrs. Initially a bit blocky on the first few sips, but very quickly rounded into form, splendid form. Dark raspberry fruit is set against a rather powerful frame, unusually so for CdR. Iron shavings and the suggestion of Provençal herbs hang around the perimeter, but I’d hazard a guess with cellar time, these will become more pronounced and integrated. A strong floral note on the closing stage adds additional appeal. All this wine needs is a little time. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I forget how much I love this wine…ages well too.

Yup, and this year was gorgeous for Beaucastel.

Beaucastel 2016 is great (18/20) …

Don’t sleep on the 17 Beaucastel CdP. It may not have the sheer longevity of the 16, but over the next 10 years, it will provide a lot of gratification as it’s already showing some complexities.

Dale, just finished a bottle of this last night with winter fare of slow cooked lentils with oso buco. It’s not Ch9P but not far off and Brett-less. Better on the second day. Glad we have many dark months to drink bigger reds.

Excellent stuff! Sadly, our entire case is gone.

I’ve had Coudelets up to age 10 through 20 and its pretty amazing how well they keep. Seems almost like a sneak peak at only age 5…

I agree that this ‘second’ wine is serious and this vintage no where near mature.

One of the better values out there IMO. Coudoulet was particularly great in '15 and '16.

K&L had some 1988s sometime last year for about current release price and a friend and I bought several. They’ve been quite good. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend aging them that long but they can certainly last.

Don’t know why…but I have a lone bottle of 89? Wonder how it compares to the legend big bro?

Are there vintages that were particularly good for Beaucastel? Years where they were noted to have outperformed the region? So beyond just the best years generally, instances where they just got it all right and they had the wine of the vintage?

And Im thinking back long term - 70s to now…

1979 is a great example. It’s not out of place with the usual suspects (eg. 81, 85, 89, 90).

I think I have 1 1989 big bro left. If you make it north and it’s still around bring the baby and I’ll RIP it open.

1 Like

Thanks Craig, appreciate that

PSA - High Time Wine in CA has these on sale for $24.95 - just reloaded on a 6 pack.

I had the 16 again last night after a 6 hr decant. Suffice to say its likely the best Cotes du Rhône I have ever had. It’s with 100% certainty I never enjoyed a CdR as much as lasts nights bottle.

1 Like

I still kick myself for not buying cases of this wine. It’s one of the best CDRs that Beaucastel has made.

I was just thinking the same thing when I reloaded at $25 per for 6 - should have been 12, hands down!