TN: Bedrock Zin MonteRosso '19...(short/boring)

Another wine I opened last night to share w/ Steve:

1. Bedrock Zin MonteRossoVnyd/SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.5%; Plntd: 1886) 2019: Dark color; very strong briary/raspberry/blackberry/very spicy/Zin light toasty/oak fairly dusty/OV some complex beautiful nose; fairly tart/tangy rather dusty/OV very strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/quite spicy light toasty/oak very tightly knit/structured bit complex flavor w/ some chewey tannins; very long/lingering very strong very spicy/Zin/raspberry/blackberry fairly dusty/OV very structured finish w/ ample hard/chewey tannins; a bit closed & tight right now but loads of structure; a classic MR Zin that needs 3-8 yrs of age; should be a great one. $55.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Guess I can’t brag about following MonteRossoVnyd from the very start, but probably as close as anyone alive can get. I’ve been trying them from LouisM.Martini in the early '70’s. LouisP. usually aged his reds to senility in large redwood or oak tanks (and pasteurized them). But his MR Zin always stood out as something special and long lived.
    From KentRosenblum & Ravenswood on, the MR Zins have always been something that is special and in need of aging. They’re not as drinkable as their other Zins from the get-go and always seem tightly knit & in need of age. This '19 is no exception.
    It should be a great one down the road.
    Tom
3 Likes

Hi Tom,

Didn’t Gallo cut off outside sales of MonteRosso fruit?

Not sure, Don. I don’t think completely, but were scaling those sales back, I believe.
Tom

1 Like

This was discussed recently - perhaps in a Vinous article on Monte Rosso - but there are a handful of non-Gallo wineries getting MR fruit now. Bedrock of course, plus Biale, Sbragia, Brown Estate, Gagnon-Kennedy, Limerick Lane, Turley, Mazzocco, Moscardini and Scribe.

1 Like

You have have big hands.

Bedrock has only missed one vintage (2017) with Monte Rosso. They got back in and made Zinfandel and Cabernet in 2018.

I thought the opposite, that Vineyard Manager Brenae Royal was pushing to get Monte Rosso fruit into more producers’ hands.

As Brian said, both are true.

On another note, a 2012 I had a few months ago was absolutely gorgeous, but still early in its near peak cycle. Been seeing some of the 2011-2012 on Winebid the last few weeks, would advise interested parties to grab them if they can

1 Like