TN: A Tale of Two Scherrer Winery Gewürztraminer (USA, California, Sonoma County)

Tried both of the recently released Gewürztraminers from Scherrer tonight w/Chicken Taco Salad and I definitely have a favorite. Who else has had these side by side?

• 2012 Scherrer Winery Gewürztraminer - USA, California, Sonoma County (1/11/2021)
    Candied apricot and lychee, sweet on the palate but no real complexity, just kinda there.
    2FFE4866-DEE9-4B46-81FA-4F04AB2ABF04.jpeg
  • NV Scherrer Winery Gewürztraminer v10.1 - USA, California, Sonoma County (1/11/2021)
    Same candied apricot and lychee as the 2012 but also a mineral note on the nose. Palate shows more complexity as well with lemon curd and that mineral streak pulling through accented by bright acidity balancing out the sweetness. May need to get another 6-pack.
    E3B9861A-3EA9-4EE2-AE9A-4E83ADE5D53E.jpeg

Posted from CellarTracker

Because someone is going to ask…
3A8CA536-4D1C-4126-B97A-A1360E2C0DFB.jpeg

1 Like

I have had one or two. Found them enjoyable with asian food and up to the heat levels I like. I split a case with 2 friends so we each got 2 bottles of each. Never entered in cellartracker so would have to go digging to see which and how many I drank thus far. Certainly worth the price

Ordered Chinese and coravined a country club pour of the 12. Agree with your note on it. Will have to check in on the other. And thanks for notes on R-M pinots. Very helpful

Had both, not side by side, but within a month or so of each other. No specific notes, but both were good. The 12 seemed more simplistic/ monolithic. The NV had a second gear. To me, the 12 is the version I’d drink after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day when I want an easy drinking white to quench my thirst. The NV is for the back deck, kids are in the basement, it’s quiet, and I’m able to think about what I’m drinking.

I tried them side by side a few weeks ago with Thai takeaway. The NV was my hands-down favorite: complex and spicy. I don’t need any more wine, but if the NV shows up on BD, I’ll hop on board for more.