Rivers-Marie ‘19 Pinot Release

Just got the email save the date. Who is excited? Havent touched my ‘18s, but looking forward to these. Has anyone sampled any of the ‘19s yet?

I actually opened a '17 Summa a few weeks ago, and after a 30min decant it was delicious, full nose, very floral. Can’t wait to get a few more

The only RM Pinot I’ve had is the 2008 Occidental Ridge (had it last year) and LOVED it. Which Pinots does everyone prefer? Also, how is the appellation bottling? I’ve yet to really like a Pinot priced as low as $30, but with TRB making it, I’m very tempted at that price.

Buy with confidence.
2019 Sonoma coast Pinot @ $30 is a an absolute steal. I wish could get more than 3.

Summa and Occidental are my personal favorites.
(I have not tried my old vine summa or Platt yet)
Great wine, amazing value.

Prices appear to be the same as the 18’s.

The appellation bottling is sensational. An amazing bargain. Buy!

1 Like

I’ve had only the 18 SC/Summa/Eagle and really enjoy the Summa & SC @ $30. Will be buying a couple of those.

Hopefully specs / tn comes out beforehand :slight_smile:

I opened a 2016 Summa last night to see if there was anything that would lead me consider restraint when ordering on the 19th. Restraint is definitely not in order.

No allocation, but I just signed up in 2020. Any idea if this is like a year+ wait thing, or they just give access to older members a few days early?

Summa and Occidental are both great. I thought the 2018 Summa was a real standout.

For reference I signed up in April/may time frame of this year and was included in the fall Cab release and next weeks Pinot release.

I tasted them last year out of tank with Anne. Chicken scratch notes.

Bearwallow - sharp, acidic, needs a little air.
Silver Eagle - structured wound up
Occidental Ridge - savory orange peel explosive fruit.
Summa - polished pine needles orange zest
Summa Old Vine - World class nose, (l loved Anne’s line that she wishes she could put that in a tea bag and hang it around her neck all day and just smell it) it’s just that good, elegant, plush strawberry, dried orange peel, pine needle, stroking my wine ego.
Platt - Summa on steroids, same mouthfeel with black cherry fruit and seamless transition from front to finish. 70 cases

4 Likes

+1. And while my allocation I’m sure pales compares to others it’s generous enough that I doubt I’ll buy it all (and I didn’t for the cabs).

I thought everyone on the list received the same Pinot Allocation.

Will Segui has a real gift, and his wines are just magic in how he can get the best out of the vineyards and the fruit. I look forward to these Pinots and feel fortunate to be on the list. Thanks for the TNs above.

I’ve been buying these wines since the 2002 release (pretty sure I still have one '02 in offsite). I think I skipped maybe one vintage when I was traveling, otherwise I’ve purchased every year. I’m doing an inventory soon, but I’m guessing it’s a sure bet I have more R-M Pinot than any other producer at this point. These wines never disappoint. Ever.

If you don’t get an offering I’d just email Will. I don’t think there is really any wait list.

Will Segui is no TRB. At least not yet. neener
Will handles logistics for Rivers Marie. He is not the winemaker. That is Thomas Rivers Brown. Will does have his own label, William and Mary.

This was true as of a year or two ago. I think that might have changed with all the hubbub around the AG 100pts for the '18 Platt. Not certain.

I’ll pile on that the RM Sonoma Coast bottling is very very easily one of the very best values out of California. And the Summa Old Vines is one of the very best Pinots. The regular Summa is starting to come into it’s own and the Platt is much hyped now.

I signed up last year after the 2018 version of this thread was posted and got a full allocation on release day.

For me, this is a no brainer perennial purchase. The wines are tasty and age well. I just opened a 2010 Summa Old Vines last weekend and it was fantastic! And the Sonoma Coast is the best value I’ve ever found in California pinot noir.

There is a small waitlist this year due to the shorter yields in 2019. There are a few wines in short supply (looking at you Summa Old, Platt) and we feel it important to give the folks that have been with us for awhile the first shot. I am anticipating a second wave offer a week or so after (26th give or take) but that will depend on how things go.

Everyone on the active list will receive the same offer. 4 btl minimum order, $4/btl in CA - $5/btl out of state shipping.

For those of you that subscribe to Vinous, Antonio has tasted the wines and let it be known that he is expecting to publish his scores tomorrow (along with Occidental, Kutch, etc).

7 Likes