Courbet Poulsard 2017 (BD XI note)

From Balanced Wine Selections’ BDXI offer, we enjoyed the 2017 Domaine Courbet Cotes du Jura Poulsard last night and tonight.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Jura wines, and what experience I do have is mostly not poulsard. Maybe I need to change that. This was not a life-changing wine or anything like that, but it was just a delight, and a great bargain at least with the BDXI discount. Most impressively, it tasted like a “mature” wine (in a good way) only 3.5 years after the vintage. The nose was expressive and open, and on the palate it struck me as an “at peak” aged wine rather than as either youthful or OTH. Light to medium bodied, it both enhanced, and was enhanced by, our meals. Hard for me to describe in more detail than that. Different, yet maybe a hypothetical combination of pinot and mencia? Recommended.

1 Like

I find Poulsard to be a cross between pinot and merlot (with the pluminess and mid palate weight).

Definitely like you said, not expensive or life changing but expressive, easy to drink, goes well with food, and a delight most nights.