TN: 2015 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers

• 2015 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (1/14/2021)
    Whoa this needs air! Started out super coiled and bitter, with a sharp alc. edge to it. Splash decanted a couple times seemed to help calm it down, but looks like a big mistake to open this so soon? For now…really rich and ripe pitted orchard fruits…apples, peaches, pears…viscous weight…somewhat oily…yet plenty of lemon/lime citrus cut for freshness and energy. Doesn’t seem over ripe at all imo. Seductively plump and curved, yet lifted, “junk-in-the-trunk”…if ya know what I mean! Gorgeous aromatics…white flowers, lime blossoms, toasted marshmallow, flint strike, oak barrel spice, creme brule sugar, crushed orchard fruit, slight spearmint. Yea…here we go…that bitterness is starting to integrate…yet there is still and edge to this that I also noted in a young 10 as well. Some serious structure here…this one should be built for the long haul…loaded with crushed geology…chalky…with ample fruit. Will see what tomorrow brings…but for now, I’d hold off for a few years on this one. Most likely ++pts.
    Btw, the cork had more saturation than expected, and a little run to the top of the cork which did smell of dried wine? I don’t suspect any heat damage though…maybe hairline fracture on the cork, and a very full bottle. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I’ve found post 14 Ramonet…fat, and the 15s especially so. At blind dinners people repeatedly called them oaky new world chards, and I have a tough time disagreeing.

Hahaha. You just couldn’t wait. But a Buzz 91 means it’s not even worth drinking!

1 Like

I did it for you! Now you know to wait a few years! Keep drinkin those Batards in the meantime…[cheers.gif]

Deleted.

1 Like

Much better day two…the roughness has smoothed, yet still some oak spice sticking out. Such creaminess in this…with ample citrus and crushed rock structure…but not as much ‘spearmint’ as I would like. 93pts now…with still room to grow.

@williamkelley would love to hear your impression on this!

1 Like

Has it been 5yrs already??? Nope…just 5 months…I have no patience! [drinkers.gif] I did heed my warning as I at least decanted it for a couple hours…this is a RICH RAM! Plenty of sun kissed fruit(reminds me of Rivers Marie)…good dose of oak barrel spice(again RM)…yet ample fresh squeeze and chalky crushed rocks to cut it up nicely! Everything is big…super tasty…yet does posses a balanced elegance believe it or not. Showing a trace of spearmint as well…yay! Again, the cork concerns me for future aging as there is a noticeable saturation on one side to the top…as noted in the first bottle as well? Hopefully there won’t be any issues as this one would be rockstar in 5-10yrs! (93+pts) [gen_fro.gif]

Pic taken with iPhone 6s. [wow.gif]

1 Like

i would venture to say if there is an irregular trail of wine up the cork it was exposed to heat at some point, especially if it is consistent across multiple bottles from the same source.