TN: 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

#1 Post by B. Buzzini »

• 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/14/2021)
    Man...if I ever did crack, I'd kick it for this! These RM Pinot's, and Chard's for that matter, are SO friggin deLISH! I need to buy more on release(note to self) cuz I blow through them in the first year after receiving them! This 18 Summa(last bottle) is seductive, intoxicating, expressive...just loaded with pure exotic red berry fruits, florals, and spices...silky smooth liqueured berries...seamless and engaging...intoxicating sandalwood, smoke cherry, forest floor, rose petal florals...DAMN! Just love it! Going big next mailer... (96 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

#2 Post by T. Melloni »

Nice to read such praise and enthusiasm.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines. . .

Dan M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Dan M »

B. Buzzini wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:18 pm
  • 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/14/2021)
    Man...if I ever did crack, I'd kick it for this! These RM Pinot's, and Chard's for that matter, are SO friggin deLISH! I need to buy more on release(note to self) cuz I blow through them in the first year after receiving them! This 18 Summa(last bottle) is seductive, intoxicating, expressive...just loaded with pure exotic red berry fruits, florals, and spices...silky smooth liqueured berries...seamless and engaging...intoxicating sandalwood, smoke cherry, forest floor, rose petal florals...DAMN! Just love it! Going big next mailer... (96 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve never had any RM wines but am (attempting to) patiently wait on this same bottle in my cellar. Did you decant long?

Next up, get off the wait list...

Alex N

#4 Post by Alex N »

I opened a '17 Silver Eagle with a few friends last week and it was pretty stellar. Didn't see any need to hold. Looking at reviews, definitely more inline with JD and RP and complete opposite of Vinous.
@13x N1ch•!z

A1ex H

#5 Post by A1ex H »

Rivers-Marie really do make nice pinots and chards. Great to see the enthusiasm here. When I tried this wine recently, I similarly greatly enjoyed it.
H@ns£n

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Adam Frisch »

Can anyone give me a hint on pricing for these?
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

cjsavino
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7 Post by cjsavino »

Adam Frisch wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:13 am Can anyone give me a hint on pricing for these?
$60 for the up coming release
Chris

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian Tuite »

You beat me to the punch Buzz. I popped one of these on Wednesday, had some Thursday and still had a splash for this morning. It develops nicely overnight. This is rocking good, edgy complex dark red fruit, Pine cone rather than pine needle if you know what I mean, no green but the rustic pine cone aroma. I absolutely loved this bottle.
C08F4DD4-6EF2-42EA-8D18-B688CE1D4B94.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

James Mc

#9 Post by James Mc »

So should I not be holding these, but rather enjoying these soon?
McCormick Seasonings

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by brigcampbell »

James Mc wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:56 am So should I not be holding these, but rather enjoying these soon?

Do both. The '18, personally all the RM PN, are very approachable at an early age and because of a friend I've tasted many with age (more the OVS). Pop one for fun, you won't be disappointed.

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Len Stevens »

In a brief chat with Will Segui, he mentioned that it was both his and TRB's opinion that the gap between the "old vine" and regular bottling of Summa is getting closer and closer. This is exciting news to me since I find the OV Summa one of my 5 favorite domestic pinots.

J e s s e C

#12 Post by J e s s e C »

This is a great wine and possibly one of my favorites from RM in awhile. Last tasted at the mending wall facility a week before RM opened their own space. In addition to others’ notes, I picked up on something I usually associate with clove or perhaps tobacco (second hand), which immediately brought me back to the 09 sonoma coast. Frank said it’s possible that the 09 had more summa blended in, though I never did confirm. I’ll have to go digging through old email offers to see if that was the case.
j c h e n g

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by Jeff_M. »

Y'all are making it very hard for me to downsize my order for the next release.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

KenL.

#14 Post by KenL. »

I haven’t tried a Summa old vine yet. I’ve only been on the list since the 16’s were released. My question to those with experience is would it be better to continue to hold or open one now? If so which of the last 3 vintages would be best or is it better to go with one of the regular Summa? Thanks in advance.
Lobel

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by Adam Frisch »

cjsavino wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:54 am
Adam Frisch wrote: January 15th, 2021, 3:13 am Can anyone give me a hint on pricing for these?
$60 for the up coming release
Not too bad for a cult winery. [cheers.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by JonathanG »

I opened one of these tonight, and sampled alongsisde 7 other wines. Wow its amazing, and came out on top of the group. It made it an easy decision to buy my full allocation next week. So glad I discovered this wine from this forum!
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by F.Daner »

AG gave the 17 95 points and was pretty impressed with it based on the note ?
Alex N wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:55 pm I opened a '17 Silver Eagle with a few friends last week and it was pretty stellar. Didn't see any need to hold. Looking at reviews, definitely more inline with JD and RP and complete opposite of Vinous.
Fred

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brian Tuite »

James Mc wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:56 am So should I not be holding these, but rather enjoying these soon?
I’m holding the rest for a while. In spite if how tasty it is right now it is structured and the fruit leans a little heavy.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brian Lynch »

Popped a '14 Summa OV last night. Delicate with lots of finesse. I generally buy all of the RM pinots and (despite lots of buzz over the OV here and elsewhere) I honestly don't enjoy the OV as much as the others. I think the Platt is spectacular and at the top of the list, but I'd put the OV in the bottom third of the RM pinots. I realize this is analogous to thinking that one school is in the bottom third of the Ivy League, so it's a high class problem but ... I will probably buy less OV next week as a result.

Anyone else feel this way?
The Waterboys

T Fletcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by T Fletcher »

Brian Lynch wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:08 am Popped a '14 Summa OV last night. Delicate with lots of finesse. I generally buy all of the RM pinots and (despite lots of buzz over the OV here and elsewhere) I honestly don't enjoy the OV as much as the others. I think the Platt is spectacular and at the top of the list, but I'd put the OV in the bottom third of the RM pinots. I realize this is analogous to thinking that one school is in the bottom third of the Ivy League, so it's a high class problem but ... I will probably buy less OV next week as a result.

Anyone else feel this way?
I am more curious as to what it is about the OV that you don’t care for. Is it perceived value from the uptick in pricing or some characteristics about the wine.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian Lynch »

If you laid it out on a table next to other RM PNs by price I would not justify the premium based on the relative flavor profiles of the other PNs
The Waterboys

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jeff Rosenberg »

Jeff_M. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:36 am Y'all are making it very hard for me to downsize my order for the next release.
They are making it difficult for me to drop any mailing lists. Last week I dropped Carlisle into the trash folder, only to retrieve it two days later and order eight bottles.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian Tuite »

Jeff Rosenberg wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:55 am
Jeff_M. wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:36 am Y'all are making it very hard for me to downsize my order for the next release.
They are making it difficult for me to drop any mailing lists. Last week I dropped Carlisle into the trash folder, only to retrieve it two days later and order eight bottles.
Myriad, Halcon, Carlisle, Rivers Marie, Rhys, DiCostanzo, Turley, Berserker Day all hit this month. I’m fu¢ked.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

R. Frankel
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#24 Post by R. Frankel »

Jeff Rosenberg wrote: January 17th, 2021, 6:55 am
Jeff you are not the only one who’s done this. Just sayin’.
Rich Frankel

Return to “Wine Talk”