TN: 2019 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard

I’d never been fully sold on any Evangelho wine. Until now.

• 2019 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (1/14/2021)
    Easily my favorite Evangelho from any producer. I forgot this was Mourvèdre and kept thinking it a zin. Definitely shows the D&R house style - bright crunchy, fleshy Red strawberry/raspberry fruit, pretty florals, chalky tannins, zingy acid and slightly raspy velvet texture. At 13.5% (notably low for Contra Costa), this is at full phenolic maturity and a total flavor bomb, but as far from being overdone as possible. It’s so delicious I don’t really stop to contemplate it, but upon reflection it also shows the darker blue/black fruit and Mourvèdre funk lurking under all that red fruit. An easy 94 and potential to be higher with added complexity over 5+ years. Hope I can keep my hands off long enough to see. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Always my favorite D&R wine. Thanks for the early look.

Thanks Vince and David. [cheers.gif]

The '19 is really special. The balance is spot on and it seems to catch a good mix of light and dark flavors. It is a joy to work with these vines.

Here is a clip from our 2019 Evangelho Mourvèdre Harvest. It was an awesome AM.

1 Like

Thanks Hardy - it’s nice to see the grapes that went into the bottle! I should add that I didn’t decant at all, and it drank beautifully from the first sip.