TN : 2018 Bouland Chiroubles "Chantenay"

After a few of the Morgon over the summer and our previous discussion of the ripe nature of the 2018s from Bouland (and Beujolais in general), I decided to check out the Chiroubles last night.

2018 Daniel Bouland Chiroubles “Chantenay”
Dark purple-red color in the glass. Aromatically expressive with blackberry, some black pepper, raspberry, and cherry notes. On the palate, this seems to have less overt ripeness than the three 2018 Morgon cuvees I have tried from Bouland (Corcelette, Delys, and Pre Jourdan). The fruit character has more of a cool berry note with raspberry and blackberry dominating. The spice element is lurking in the background and the finish is medium-long showing nice integration of structure and fruit. Overall, this is head and shoulders above the others in the 2018 bracket from Bouland for my tastes. While it may develop further, I will be glugging it down at will. It’s delicious now.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

Cru Beaujolais is probably the greatest red wine region on earth to find your favorite producers, buy every year, and enjoy a peek into the vintage that is captured in every bottle, while not breaking the bank, and knowing quality will always be there.

17s and 18s have been delicious with more than adequate acidity to balance and many with a coolness to fruit almost like wet cement to keep them fresh.