Vermouth!! Finally launched

I started this thread a while ago for input (as follows)-- but see the Jan 5, 22 post about the launch of our new Oregon, small batch, Sun Break Rose’ Vermouth (post # 96).

“I am preparing to launch a vermouth this year and we’ve been experimenting with different recipes. Fruit, floral, herbal and bitter botanicals + grape (Pinot Noir) brandy + rose’ wine (18% ABV). We want our vermouth to be delicious on its own as well being a great cocktail ingredient.

Curious to know your thoughts on how to market this (since most folks will not exactly know what a small batch, highly aromatic vermouth is)? Also, if anyone has access to Jancis Robinson’s newsletter, I sure would love seeing the tasting notes posted in today’s edition (if it is even possible to save as pdf or some such).

Thanks! David
Sun Break Wine and Cider (and Vermouth!)”

1 Like

Two pretty different audiences. I can tell you that I drink Manhattans most nights and I look to Cocktail books and Instagram for my inspiration. Generally centered on Carpano Antica and a Dolin/Punt e Mes mix (suggested by Death & Co), although I’ve picked up Drapo (Italy) and Vermouth del Professor based on recommendations from stores with liquor sections I trust.

I think it will be much easier (and cheaper) for you to target your audience using Facebook/IG demographic filters for social media campaigns. Find a couple of influencers on the cocktail side and/or do a give away. Would love to help, but at ~420 followers (primarily for steak/pork chops), I’m not your guy :wink:

Good luck

Interesting. Keep us posted.

Thanks, good advice. A very cool berserker sent me the JRobinson tasting notes so now I can look up the recipes for the vermouth you like! My marketing question centers on the misconception in the U.S. of the term “vermouth” to being with. A complex vermouth can be enjoyed on its own much like a liqueur (e.g. Chartreuse). I’ll definitely put vermouth on the label, but maybe also “botanical-infused wine cocktail” or something similar.

Thanks! If I can just get people to taste it, they love it. But if I ask “would you like to try my vermouth?” I might as well be speaking a different language.

1 Like

Will do! We came up with a brand name “Tourmaline” which is a rose-colored gemstone (and happens to be my wife’s birthstone, so that’s a nice tie-in). Not Trademarked and that seems fine…

1 Like

David:

I’m certainly no expert. But I think your main challenge is appealing to a younger demographic. When I think of vermouth, I think of two things: a Martini and a Manhattan. Both of those speak to me of an older, more “corporate,” urbane audience. I don’t drink those cocktails and don’t drink vermouth.

Vermouth feels like something for hardcore drinker or trendy mixologist – consumed in darkened bars or paneled home study. How do you broaden it’s appeal so it feels like something lighter, more “summery”? Something with a spritzer or whatever? I don’t have the answers, but those feel like the questions I would be trying to muddle through. Just my two cents. Good luck.

I just read about a Philly bottle shop owner making and marketing vermouth. This may interest you. Dumpster Juice from Bloomsday Cafe is a vermouth made for Philly

Vermouth for sipping became trendy here in Chicago more than 10 years ago with places like Sable having several on tap and a list of many to chose from. I have drunk Vermouth on the rocks as my preferred cocktail for … hmmmm … a lot of years … since the early 80s actually. Several winemakers already produce their own and in the artisanal cocktail scene there are a number of small makers … I remember the former cocktail manager at The Kitchen gave me one from a father and daughter team producing small batches. Matthiasson makes a lovely one too. Could vermouth become a trend … I think the influencer suggestion is smart. Also, once restaurants and bars really reopen, a solid program to build a following amongst more innovative restaurant drinks programs would provide the intro such a product would need. That takes a decent investment to break through.

I’m a little nervous to admit this, but Duckhorn used to make a dry white vermouth they called Eiger (I think). Binny’s (Sam’s) used to carry it. I loved it chilled over ice as an aperitif.

1 Like

Dan Petroski at Massican makes Vermouth (dry and sweet). I use his and the Matthiasson version quite a bit, but always fall back in Dolan when I run out of the M&M versions.

1 Like

Our house is pretty much Dolin all the time. Especially with Negronis being the most prevalent cocktail we drink.

That said, there are quite a few locally produced Vermouths, and the recipe for success mostly seems to be the same as for small wineries. Stay enthused in your work, and plan on/hope for a Sonny Rollins lifestyle.

Best I’ve ever had is Silvio Carta Vermouth di Sardegna. It is great straight. John Paul at Cameron also made one at least once that I enjoyed making cocktails with.

1 Like

Carpano makes a nice white btw.

1 Like

Cochi is my go-to for cocktails. I too am particularly fond of Negronis, and I use The Botanist as my gin.

1 Like

It’s crazy how much our palates seem to align, Marcus!

Negronis are my favorite cocktail now and are really the only cocktails I’ll drink (I do like scotch and Japanese whisky neat though). I’ve settled on Dolin as my preferred Vermouth as of now as well but I’d love to see other recs here.

Spot on: being that our winery name is “Sun Break” should help ; )

Thanks— fun article. (The only thing is that TTB requires grape brandy, which I make from Pinot Noir Piquette by the way. Also we must submit a recipe for approval so you can’t just make it as you go… Hope the feds don’t read the article [wow.gif] )

Right on, Marcus. Good news is that my cocktail-drinking friends tell me our vermouth makes the best-ever Negroni!