The World's Biggest Wine Lovers

That was me, sorry! [cheers.gif] [wow.gif]
FB_IMG_16108051595115399.jpg

3 Likes

US not even top 20? Interesting.

Where does this come from? I didn’t think we’d rank highly, but not even top 20, wow.

Go Portugal!

I believe this is from the OIV. The US is actually number one in the world in absolute numbers/volume consumed, but this is probably not equally distributed throughout the population.

Yes there are a LOT of people here that rarely or never drink wine. Back home in Italy, it’s rare to see a dinner table without at least a bottle of wine.

Maybe, they don’t consider Ovid to be wine. [tease.gif]

1 Like

That’s American Port!

1 Like

Robert loves all the biggest wines. #Ovid #Cambie #Rolland

US not even top 20? Interesting.

Not surprising to me. It is I sure based on anyone over 21. Think of all the other beverages people drink in this country like seltzers(the fade of the week), beer, mixed drinks, etc. Most people in my neighborhood who drink, drink beer and spirits over wine.

1 Like

I believe this is from the OIV. The US is actually number one in the world in absolute numbers/volume consumed, but this is probably not equally distributed throughout the population.

Correct. Think of all the people in the US that don’t drink wine and other alcoholic beverages. I doubt Portugal has Bud Light commercials.

It’s what Luca was saying. In countries like Portugal, France and Italy, wine is an everyday drink, and not merely the beverage of choice of specific social strata in specific places. Also, quality wine over here is extremely inexpensive. 5€ is a premium bottle for the average consumer (and even for the ‘wine lover’ there are countless serviceable daily drinkers in that price range). I wonder whether the drinking age difference might also affect statistics, since it is 18 in pretty much all of Europe AFAIK.

the benefits of having never lived through a prohibition.

Portugal by a LONG ways.

I heard Luxemburg is actually number one by a large margin. Doesn’t appear on this list.

According to the 2016 Wine Price Index study, unveiled this week by motorhome rental platform SHAREaCAMPER, the Grand Duchy consumes an average of 61.30 litres of wine per capita annually–ahead of Portugal on 55.4 litres and France on 53.6 litres.

Pulling my weight. [cheers.gif]

Not surprised with the price-quality-ratio you have going on over there. I would pop bottles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I were you!

2 Likes

I have no idea which of these numbers are accurate, but I would consider the following…
Screenshot_20210116_234027.jpg

I don’t think it is primarily that. This country was founded more on whiskey and beer. When the “west” (Tennessee, Kentucky, etc.) was first settled, a lot of grain was distilled into whiskey because it was easier to take to market back east than was the grain. Much of the wine culture in America was for most of our history either wealthier people or immigrants from countries like Italy where wine was a bigger part of the culture. I bet we drink as much alcohol as a lot of these countries, just not as much wine. Is local wine really a big part of the culture in this country other than in California, Washington or Oregon? I know there are wineries in other states, but really what percentage of the population in those states drink the local wines. I probably have not had a Maryland wine in at least 30 years or a Virginia wine in at least 20 years.

When I told my parents it’s hard to find anything drinkable under $10 in the US they just about flipped.

It’s not our fault we were born in Southern Europe, but it is our blessing.