Excellent Napa/Sonoma Cabs under 14% ABV

Who is making them? I know this has been discussed before, but it seems California cabs just keep getting hotter. I recall a thread or two on this topic, but I’m not finding it in search.

Following!

Beta, some of which may even be sub 13%.

I believe the Di Costanzo cabs are around 14.1%.

2 Likes

Thanks Owen. Not much to be learned from Beta’s website, but I’ve signed up. Honestly, I should have been more forgiving in the title of my post. I generally prefer to not venture beyond 14.5% if I can. The stuff that just kills me are these Napa cabs clocking in over 15%+ ABV. You may as well just beat me over the head with the bottle.

Dunn is also a great choice. I believe they typically come in around 13.9%.

Not really my expertise… but a few that fall consistently below that number that I have really enjoyed:
Corison
Arbot Roberts
Ceritas

I found out about both Beta and Di Costanzo on this board. Di Costanzo has an offering coming up in Feb. Very balanced and more “classic” in style compared to many in Napa now.

I think Beta just released the ‘14s in the fall and the ‘15s will be in the spring. Quantities are pretty limited.

Calluna Vineyards Sonoma make some very nice, restrained Cab and Cab Blends. I believe they are at 14 or below.

Also Frogs Leap in Napa, same as above.

Tom

Are you asking California or Napa/Sonoma?

After reverse osmosis, of course . . . [snort.gif]

2 Likes

Matthiasson Cabernets are more classic and around 13%. Also a good deal at $60 compared to other Napa Cabs. Their 2016 Dead Fred vineyard is gonna be incredible in a few years.

I don’t always love the QPR on Gamble wines but they are typically right around 14% and are relatively restrained.

Top ones that I buy and love

Di Costanzo- Di CO and the SVD’s- my top favorite
Frogs Leap- Rutherford
Long Meadow Ranch- Rutherford and NV - posted recently on the 14 Rutherford. Clocks in at 13.5% and is a throwback to those great wines from the 90’s. I posted on it recently
Calluna

Beta- bought the 14 but won’t open for several years.

Cheers

1 Like

Lots of great suggestions already in this thread. I have particularly enjoyed Corison and Calluna.

Two more to add:
Mayacamas - an old stalwart.
Pilcrow - a relative newcomer, but very fine.

I second the Pilcrow recommendation.

Stony Hill is a personal favorite of mine.

A colleague of mine made a lovely Cabernet from Napa Valley in 2019 that came in at 12.9%. https://keefefamilywines.com

1 Like

Enfield is making some really nice Cabs.

3 Likes

Drinkward-Peschon and Scherrer are both excellent and are lower ABV

Laurel Glen usually clocks in just slightly above 14% but don’t taste heavy/ponderous to me.

Mountain fruit, maybe a touch of pyrazines in some years.

Global warming makes it harder to find what you are looking for.

Another vote for Enfield. Remarkable wine.