TN: Mouches and Sauzet

2018 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (1/16/2021)
Intoxicating and complex nose full of spearmint, bright red fruit and spice garden in a cool mountain air. Delectably layered palate starting with red and black fruits, moving to spices and herbs and fanning out into a long, smooth and balanced finish. This is so open and beautiful at the moment, but very primary and showing the goods to age quite well. (94 pts.)

2018 Etienne Sauzet Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (1/16/2021)
Citrus zest nose with a touch of warmth. Tart, sour lemon and lime on the front of the palate. Good weight for its level, which it should have since I heard yields were so high they declassified quite a bit of Village and 1er Cru into this blend. Mid palate is rather muted, but the minerality fans out to a medium long finish. A bit disjointed, but showing some promise. High quality juice and hopefully will come around with a few years in the bottle. (89 pts.)

Interesting; I’ve never really had a mouches I’ve found to be ready on release; I had the 15 at a drouhin tasting a few years back and it was super tight.

Thanks Andrew. Drouhin’s Mouches is a quality wine that has a track record of aging for a very long time.

The 2017 and now 2018 are actually both very open out of the gates. The 2018 is richer, headier, and more front-loaded; the 2017 is brighter and more sensual. But both can be tasted now with pleasure.

Cool, I have a few of each but will probably hold for awhile.