2017 Fonseca Porto Vintage...

Not a big port guy…don’t drink much of it, but have enjoyed a few amazing bottles mainly from Dow that were more on the dry, graphite powder style…07 Dow my all time fav! Just can’t stomach high alc. and too much sweetness. Have local access to some 375’s of the 17 Fonseca…$31. Probably get one to try at that price…but was wondering what the experts think?

[cheers.gif]

Your grandkids will dig it!

1 Like

We rarely drink Port, or much of any sticky wine actually. However, on impulse, I recently purchased three 750’s of 2017 Taylor Fladgate from Last Bottle for a good price. My daughters can enjoy them someday.

You’re drinking them too young. Buy an aged bottle at auction to try & see what you think. I’d suggest an '85 Graham’s and when they hit auction they’re usually about $80ish/bottle

Couldn’t believe these prices: $31 for '17 (even for a half bottle) and only $80ish for a '85 Graham. I’d be in heaven if I could have the aged Graham for that price.

Yeah killer deal on the splits…would be very interested in knowing where if there are any left.

Not an expert by any means, but that is a great price, and I would be a buyer. I have had the 2017 Taylor Fladgate and Graham’s, and both showed exceptional potential. I have not tried the Fonseca but I would imagine the quality is similar.

Great price and a great wine. One of the best vintages, according to the Port producers, since 1945. One of the top Ports of the year. Can drink now for a few years, or wait 30+ years.

If you are not into Port, why buy Port regardless of price? FOMO?

I remember seeing this on Lastbottle marathon and wish I picked up more than 1. Tons more complexity and enjoyment when significantly older, but finally having tasted some young ports, I imagine this would be still be pretty good, especially at $31…

Yes they will. If it lasts that long [cheers.gif]

Great price on a great vintage. Buy what they have, open one to enjoy now and save the rest for later.

If you open it now, enjoy it over 2-3 days to see how a young VP can change over time. It’s a bit nerdy, but fun to see how they can go through, sometimes dramatic, changes over a few days.

Picked up a few for the cellar…actually $28 with a 10% 6 bottle discount! [wow.gif] I think the 375’s are the perfect size for me here!

I attended the IVDP tasting where they officially declared the 2017 vintage. 2017 was a vintage where producers would have to actively screw up not to make excellent wine. The wines were surprisingly approachable and enjoyable young. Of the major producers, Niepoort was the least enjoyable young. If you like vintage Port I would take any chance to add more 2017. If you want to be a baller down the road at an offline and don’t want to spring for a Quinta Do Noval Nacional, I would grab Graham’s Stone Terraces or Croft Serikos.

Absolute steal