TN: 2011 Chateau La Providence, Pomerol

Christian Moueix of Petrus and Dominus fame was busy closing some excellent Chateaux in 2011/2012. First he closed the historic Chateau Magdelaine after the 2011 vintage, merging it into Belaire-Monage. Then he closed Chateau La Providence after the 2012 vintage, now merged into Chateau Hosanna. Magdelaine holds a large place in my cellar, but I have not tried Hosanna.

Somehow La Providence flew under my radar. Gilman posited it was the label that set if off, looking like some modern new age darling stylistically, not a classic Pomerol label. Perhaps. Or I just missed it. Regardless, it was a mistake. While i know 2011 is not considered a heralded Bordeaux vintage, I do think quite a few estates in Pomerol shined (as did Magdelaine, by the way). This La Providence is one of them. Far more classic in structure and style than I had anticipated. Earthy nose of wet moss, rich soil, black fruits and a hint of truffles. My wife was eating a pungent dish with truffles, so I could be projecting on that last note. Palate weight was medium, nice spine of acid, showing some light toasted oak at this early stage and modest tannins. I think this is a wine that hits its stride in 2-3 years and is showing really well right now.

Neal Mollen turned me onto this wine, glad I grab 3 and then 3 more. An Envoyer special. I have recently grabbed some 2008 as well. On this showing, I am looking for more vintages.

(92 pts.)

C579D2CB-2D89-4437-92EC-EF6DF62E463C.jpeg

2 Likes

ive seen these offers come through quite a bit in the last 6 months. ill have to pull the trigger on the next one.

All that closed out or discounted stock Stateside is long gone. Had the chance to take a few chunks of inventory when they were first offered to distributors.

Excellent note Robert. I opened one Friday night. Still has some tannin to shed, but it responds to a few hours of air – the last glass was the best, which is usually a good sign. I wonder if the fruit and tannin are in a race to the death, but this is absolutely a classically styled Pomerol worthy of some attention. A bargain at the Envoyer price; less so at the going retail rate elsewhere. If it comes back to Envoyer I will buy more.

1 Like

I thought La Providence itself was kind of a recent creation, maybe around as a nameplate for 10-12 years?

Hosanna is a beautiful wine, but I’ve not bought nor tasted any in a long time. Nice picture!

Thanks Neal! Glad you turned me onto this wine, I will definitely grab more if it is offered again. I did not find it overly tannic, but I was eating a fairly heavy braised short rib ravioli dish.

Hard to get by the yukky label; the wine has always been solid.

I really never recall hearing about this before the early 2000’s when it started getting reviewed.

Was it just being sold to European customers before and never making its way stateside?

Jeff’s site suggests it might have been called Trauchaud at one point?

Popped the 2008 tonight at a business dinner, paired with a 16 oz ribeye Pittsburgh medium rare, though really came out medium or more. But the wine shined. An excellent vintage for this wine; riper than most left bank 2008s that I have had, but still in a classic vein. All Pomerol in attack, with ripe plums, wet earth, tobacco and sweet tannins. (93 pts.)

Fully ready to go or would benefit from further cellaring?

Will definitely benefit. Lots of structure here.