Diam in Burgundy?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a list of producers using Diam in Burgundy? I’m particularly interested to know if Maison Drouhin is using them…but thought it could be neat to have a list here in the forum if there is one.

Thanks in advance.

Drouhin as of 2018 are still not using Diam.
Am amazed at the conversion rate of those adopting it though. Even some producers that have been longtime screwcap users/advocates are starting to bottle some of their wines in diam for more linear cellar development, which I like.
Agree a list would be very useful. Unless it’s lower value, I’m still not interested in white burg under ‘cork’.

I bought wines from the Hospices de Beaune through Bichot in 2015 and 2018, both bottled with technical corks.

Lamy, evidently.

Just had a 2018 Drouhin Mouches and natural cork. Very nice long cork but natural.

1 Like

Howard, thank you.

1 Like

You’re welcome. [whistle.gif]

I’m curious to hear what the term ‘linear cellar development’ means.

Thanks!

I would imagine it connotates even development over time rather than asymptotic.

And so that is to imply that wines under screcap age asymptomatically?

Please explain…

Andrew, thank you too Sir! champagne.gif

Well I made it up, so whatever I want it to… neener

I meant that bottles will develop over a given period of time on a predictable line. I’ve questioned a winemaker who was bottling everything under stelvin, but moved to diam for a few Pinots & 1 chard so they can develop over time. He felt that wasn’t as possible under stelvin. I love stelvin, but like his reasoning for moving a few wines to Diam.

Here’s the thing, though - wines certainly do develop under screw caps, and will do so differently depending upon the liners used. It’s the same concept why one might use a Diam5 ve Diam30, etc . . .

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Larry, I think most of us know screw-caps do develop over time and don’t want to speak for this 1 producer, but I assume you winemakers don’t just wing these things…He’s been full stelvin since mid '00’s other than 1 sparkling and with the 2019 vintage he’s moved 3 of his 8 bottles to Diam. I questioned him a few months ago over socials and that was his quick explanation. If I get to speak with him further post lock-down I certainly will ask him for further detail as I’m interested in this as well. Either way - I appreciate that there is a suitable reliable alternative to cork or in this case, screw-cap.

Here’s a useful link to Don Cornwell’s site, ranking producers as to premox risk, but also a list of diam users, and when they started.

http://www.gdeschamps.net/wiki/doku.php?id=which_producers_are_most_and_least_affected2

1 Like

The linked list above is really helpful.

this is a tangential question… I will be bookmarking this link to refer when using a Coravin on a bottle.
In addition to this list, I feel like it is likely that Diam or a synthetic cork may be used on US (CA and OR) white wine bottles, some US Pinot bottles more frequently in OR than in CA, white wine in burgundy.

Although any producer can choose to use DIAM or synthetic cork, are there other areas or regions that I should watch out for? Usually, I email a US producer before using Coravin on a bottle just to make sure a normal cork is used to bottle the wine.

I feel like German Riesling are generally under regular cork as are most but not all reds in France and Italy. Usually only Coravin bottles that are $50+. Coravin only works with real cork bottles. Needles are expensive so I’d rather not break or require replacements.

1 Like

I’m seeing frequently red Burgs under Diam. If a producer moves to Diam for their whites, I see the reds the same way.

Just opened a '14 Marchand Tawse 47N bourgogne tonight with a Diam 5. Showed well.

Weirdly a 2017 Scott Kelley mag had a DIAM 2 although his more recent offerings are under another synthetic cork.