2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Pora

2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Pora

A 1st time dip into a seemingly forever-stored mixed case of 2001 Produttori Riserva at age 20. Opted for the Pora, whose general views indicate approachability earlier than the other single vineyards from this house.

Bottle was stood up for 4-days. Splashed-decanted back into the bottle, while ridding of a spoon-full of fine sediment, at 1 hour before the first pour. Friday’s dinner was take-out ramen and some Izakaya appetizers from one of the neighborhood’s many Japanese joints, and so this was drank mainly before and after the meal with nibbles of a good fresh Fulvi cheese from Lazio.

The first indication of the ensuing experience was the beguiling earthy smell, with all the classics in eucalyptus and tar. Throw in some treated wood.

The taste of fine tannin, welcoming bursts of tasty acidity from layered red and dark berries, not too ripe, mucho herbs that excite, more of the earthiness and it simply was a Nebbiolo that’s as old school as it gets for me. The rusticity is so compelling that it’s a crime not to enjoy it.

I feel that up to 5 more cellar years is warranted for my taste, as the presence of oak traces, especially evident in day 2, will still need to integrate, or disintegrate, in order to get this right smack in the middle of my wheelhouse.

This left me genuinely excited for the prospects of the other 2001 Riserva that are still asleep in the remote storage. A-/B+

6BF974C8-4003-4770-B2B8-6027CFE1A29C.jpeg

Very nice. I wish I had been buying these wines earlier. 2004 was the first time I bought them on release.

Other than a couple each from 2 single vineyards, 2004s is where I regrettably failed to reasonably stock up on bottles from this house.

I know you’ll say this is way too soon, but I had a ‘15 Paje recently that was very enjoyable. A half glass on day one wasn’t all that good, but on day 2 and particularly day 3 it came together and was really nice.

Great note. The riservas sure can take a long time to fully blossom.

True. I’ll just add that a well-stored normale can also stand the test of time. Still have a 2nd bottle of the 1964 (thanks, Dale!) waiting for the appropriate meal. The 1st bottle 2 years ago was sublime.

I had a Montefico 2005 on Sunday that was nicely enjoyable. Still some tannins left, but mature fruit in a well integrated and reasonably complex package with autumn leaves, liquorice and all the usual Nebbiolo trimmings. Smart move to buy Produttori in warmer vintages like 05, 07 and 11.

Last time I checked the 2001s are more approachable than the 1999s.

1 Like

Good point. I had a wonderful ‘71 normale a few years ago sourced from Chambers St.

Do we think the more recent normales will age like that, holding and even improving for 40-50 years?

The 97 Pora and Rabaja were both wines that drank great out of the gate and never really shut down. Haven’t checked in on the 01s, appreciate the note.

Only 1 data point from my end, but the 1999 Rio Sordo I had in September was less approachable than this 2001 Pora.