The Clean Wine Movement...

Interesting article in F&W magazine by Oset Babur (who he??) on the “clean” wine movement:
F&W:CleanWine

Apparently, some of the “natural” wine producers feel somewhat threatened by producers of “clean” co-opting some of their terminology, but not adhering to the lofty principals behind natural wine.
The biggest proponent behind “clean” wine is CameronDiaz, who appears to be a glamorous celebrity and actress. Had to look her up…only celebrities I know are people like RichardFeynman/HansBethe/MilanCopic/etc. Nothing out there to attest to her credentials for making wine. Appears her wine is purchased in bulk (Spain & France, for one) and bttld under her label.
Another “clean” wnry is Scout&Cellar, located just NW of Dallas TX. They have coined/trademarked the term “Clean-Crafted” to give their brand a certain cachet. They source their grapes (emphasis on grapes sources) from around the World but would like you to believe they make their own wine in TX. And you can even sign up to be a “wine consultant” for Scout&Cellar.

Some of the stuff these wineries utter wants to make you barf. Can you say “marketing”?? I’m interested in hearing AliceFeiring weigh in on the “clean” wine movement. Some of these “clean” wine folks would probably be shocked to visit the cellars of some producers in Burgundy or the Rhone.
Tom

I’m sure this is just a thing in the here and now.

Maybe brush up on celebrities or at least a field that all haven’t been dead for 30-80 years!:grin:

There are “lofty principals behind natural wine?”

Tall celebrities :wink:

Suppose you haven’t heard of Dry Farm Wines then, Tom?

1 Like

Wasn’t this talked about in The Winemakers podcast? I think Cameron Diaz is in on this.

Eric Asimov had an article on this recently, too: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/dining/drinks/clean-wine-avaline.html

Yup, Jason…I’ve heard of them…not tried any. My impression is that they were more tied into the “natural” wine
movement, than the “clean” wine movement. As we all know, “nartural” wines are not always “clean”.
Tom

Clean, Natural, Biodynamic, Neurolinguistic Programming…we live in a marketing world.

I eagerly await ‘Clean and Calm’ Winery!

She got her start on this path as a proponent of natural hair products…

2 Likes

something-about-mary.jpg

lol, I was so tempted to pop this in the thread earlier then got busy with house things. Glad someone came through and now I can feel the comfort that all is right in the world (for now).

And I’ll take the under on Clean Wine staying a thing.

Its always been there, always will. Something else buzz-worthy will just grab the attention of the masses as the next thing. Then it will just do what it always did, keep on keeping on.

Belt high fastball. LOL

In my opinion, they are 100% in the clean wine hokum biz. Natural wines and conventional wines are equally spinnable by their “metrics.” Their marketing focus has been in wellness/fad diets/keto/health supplements areas and avoids the wine market almost entirely.

Well, expect their facebook ads, which due to algorithms having been barraging industry folks. Their Chicken Little proclamations contained a lot of misleading, false and bizarre, which has gotten them torn to shreds. Watch out for that flavored yeast!

It reduces hangovers so you can drink more.

Aren’t Goodfellow, Vincent, PGC all dry farm? Others like Eyrie and Kelley Fox as well. In the Willamette they have a group called the Deep Roots Coalition.

Yup, and I’m no critic of dry farming.

Dry farming in Oregon is like saying you only use artificial lurers in a trout farm. neener

I’ll play a little bit of that game - my Mission is dry farmed. Now, where are all these celeb sales? [dance2.gif]