Wine rules you should break

I’m not convinced all or even most of these are real rules, but I’ve broken every one with pleasure. My personal favorite is adding ice to a too warm red wine.

1 Like

I don’t think these are real rules. That said I have run into a lot of “common wisdom” within those less geeky than us that is anything but wise. For example, lots of folks think white meat of any kind should be served with white wine.

These aren’t real “rules” but they are bad practices. We all know that- but this article isn’t written for us. In that regard I like this article.

Only one I really quibble with is the one on using proper stemware. I’m not saying everyone needs Zalto/Grassl etc, but even low-end stems that are properly shaped vastly increase my enjoyment.

It’s an entertaining article, kind of tongue in cheek but sadly highlights some common stereotypes associated with “wine snobs” (am I a wine snob?)

I think the only lines I’ve never crossed on that list were “Wine should only come in a bottle” and “Don’t put ice in wine”.

I’ve never had a box wine so far as I’m aware and I can’t recall ever dropping an ice cube in a glass.

Not that it could not have its place, I just don’t find myself in the positions, maybe by design.

Wine articles you shouldn’t read.

3 Likes

[winner.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

+1

Don’t make your own blends.

If I get a faded wine, I will add a touch of something more vibrant.

I like reds and whites served at cellar temp.

I will cook with wines that didn’t meet my drinking standards.

Wine articles a Berserker shouldn’t read. Anyone with less wine experience could actually learn a great deal from this. There’s a lot of really bad “wine wisdom” out there that needs to be dispelled.

On that note, would have been nice if the article noted that Champagne can really shine in wine glasses other than flutes. I’ve run into quite a few folks who considered themselves “into wine” that had never heard this.

1 Like

This might be uncontroversial, but if I’m having red meat in an acidic sauce I will always reach for a white.

That wasn’t listed yet its something I always heard as a norm. Red meats mean red wines. I like a full bodied acidic white with an acidic sauce no matter what the meat. They work IMO. Good call.

Which acidic sauce with which red meat would that be? Something like German Sauerbraten etc.?

Cheers,
Hans-Peter

I didn’t think any of those were rules except holding a glass by the bowl. I will admit I don’t do that and will mentally judge those who do. I will also admit that I use stemless glasses a lot — like 95% of the time.

I haven’t personally had a wine I liked out of a box or bag or can.

I’ll go so far as to say I never cook with a wine I’d drink. For cooking I typically buy four packs of 187ml bottles from Gallo or something similar. I guess they’re drinkable but I usually reach for something at a higher price point when drinking.

Yeah this is good advice. Many restaurants - even the fancy ones - use bulk wines in their sauces.

While the article was silly one “wine rule” that I happily break is “always serve white wines other than Sauternes, etc. before reds”.

I was thinking more in line of lighter sauces, based on mustard, vinegar and/or cider. I believe Sauerbraten is much richer and has a significant sweet-savory aspect to it, so I’m not sure.

The part that suggests decanting champagne “{sparkling wine}” is one I’ve considered doing numerous times, but yet to do. We’ve had a few discussions in this forum about doing so, but I don’t recall any feedback that validates doing so. I just makes sense to me, but some argue we lose the bubbles or at least there is significant reduction. Not the end of the world for me. I will decant one soon.

I’m of the opinion there’s literally nothing you can’t drink white wine with. Maybe tootsie rolls :wink:

Both good points especially re the stemware for champagne.

1 Like