Your favorite non-red with 10+ years of age

What is your favorite non-red wine to drink with some bottle age? (about 10 years or more)

• dry German riesling
  • fruity style German riesling
  • Austrian riesling
  • Alsatian riesling
  • Alsatian - other
  • dessert style (BA, TBA, Sauternes, Tokaji, etc.)
  • Champagne
  • White Burgundy
  • White Bordeaux
  • Loire Chenin
  • Loire - other
  • White Rhone
  • Spanish White
  • Italian White
  • Sherry
  • Madeira
  • Old world - other
  • US Chardonnay
  • US - other
  • South America white
  • New Zealand, Australia white
  • New world - other
  • I prefer to drink all of these less than 5 years after the vintage

0 voters

What are your favorite non-red wines to drink with some age? Let’s go with around 10 years or older (could be anywhere from 6-8 years to 20+)

I’m not asking what you buy to cellar for 10 or more years, since that’d probably eliminate White Burgundy, for example, for many. If you could guarantee perfect provenance and condition of the wine, which would be your favorite to enjoy?

You can select 2 options.

edit: The question was meant for non-reds that age/develop in bottle: wines that you have the option to drink while they are more youthful on release, OR after years of development in bottle. That’s why I didn’t include Sherry and Madeira. I didn’t specify in my original post, so yes, Sherry and Madeira could be acceptable answers and I’ll add the options in case anyone wants to choose those.

edit 2: woops…didn’t realize that if I added another poll option it would reset all the previously submitted answers…sorry everyone!

RLdH Blancos: Gravonia Crianza, Tondonia Reserva, and Tondonia Gran Reserva…

Flawed, I think that White Zin should have its own option

Aaron Rodgers.

both Riesling options.

If it wasn’t for premox, I might have picked white Burgundy. So, I picked German wines with RS. It is an easy pick, actually. These wines are so great and are the best values in the world of wine.

Love Trebbiano with some age on it. White Burgundy would have been the answer before premox.

Would Madeira be considered dessert?

Thinking Tyrrells Semillion Vat 1 would be on my list!

There should have been a separate category for fortified - Port, Madeira, Sherry, etc. [Isn’t most Sherry done using a solera system. Is it possible to drink a sherry with < 10 years of age?]

I picked Austrian Riesling and Loire Chenin because they are best represented in my cellar, but German Riesling with RS, Champagne, white Burgundy, Lopez de Heredia, and dessert-style are all wines that I prefer with at least 10 years of age.

Late harvest Viognier and botrytized wines.

Surprised white Rhône’s didn’t get their own listing

The question was meant for non-reds that age/develop in bottle: wines that you have the option to drink while they are more youthful on release, OR after years of development in bottle. That’s why I didn’t include Sherry and Madeira. I didn’t specify in my original post, so yes, Sherry and Madeira could be acceptable answers.
Port isn’t included because it falls into the “red” category.

1 Like

Yeah, I should’ve included them. I’ll add Rhone whites to the options.

woops…didn’t realize that if I added another poll option it would reset all the previously submitted answers…sorry everyone!

I still had another tab open with the results before they got cleared:

dry German riesling - 2 - 3%
fruity style German riesling - 13 - 18%
Austrian riesling - 4 - 5%
Alsatian riesling - 0 - No votes
Alsatian - other - 0 - No votes
dessert style (BA, TBA, Sauternes, Tokaji, etc.) - 3 - 4%
Champagne - 20 - 27%
White Burgundy - 12 - 16%
White Bordeaux - 0 - No votes
Loire Chenin - 1 - 1%
Loire - other - 2 - 3%