TN: Arbe Garbe WW '17....(short/boring)

Tried this last night:

1. ArbeGarbe RRV WW SonomaCnty (14%; www.ArbeGarbeWines.com; 55% Catie’sCorner Malvasia Bianca/
    30% Tanya’sVnyd Ribolla Gialla/15% Pagani Ranch old vine Tocai Friulano) StHelena 2017
    : Light gold color; very fragrant floral/carnations/Friuliano some stony/mineral/perfumed talc very Friuli/Friuliano-like very slight pencilly/oak lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy rather rich/lush very floral/carnations/gardenias/slight Malvasia some stony/mineral quite perfumed bit spicy/nutmeg lovely flavor; very long/lingering quite floral/gardenias/carnations light stony/mineral rather rich/lush bit tangy finish; a really beautiful aromatic that resembles a great Friuli Friulano; the Malvasia gives the Ribolla a real aromatic lift, yet seems to be receding into the background. $30.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. First tasted this wine in Oct '18:

Back then, the wine seemed to be dominated by the Malvasia. Now that the wine’s put on weight & the Malvasia is receeding a bit, it’s starting to resemble more a great Friuli Friuliano. Beautiful aromatic wine.
Tom

I think these wines are really underrated. I love Massican’s Friuli-styled wines but like these even better.

1 Like

Yup…agree, Jason. They’re supposed to be having a new release this month.
Their Charbono is one of the best around. But frightfully expensive.
Tom

I love these wines. Their Benedants is also great. Wonderfully consistent and the aromatics are always so lifted and pretty.

Thanks for the glowing review…but lets keep this between us. Some of my very favorite white wines…period!

According to Letezia, there’s been some delays in the next release because of COVID. But the next Newsletter
should be out in 2-3 weeks. Can hardly wait.
Tom

Great to see you posting on these, Tom. Some of my favorites. Glad to hear about the upcoming release. May try the Charbono even thought I’m on a red wine purchasing hiatus

Bumping this to say the '19 is available on WineAccess for $35. I don’t see Arbe Garbe a lot at retail so I was surprised to see it pop up. They are likely selling less to restaurants, like everyone else.

I’ve been following this wine since the beginning. Not really, but I first tasted the 2015 at a tasting organized by the brother of the member of one of our attorney-oenophile group members. I thought it was under-appreciated at the time because it reflected a flavor profile that was fundamentally different from the easy to drink chards and pinot griggios that frequent supermarket shelves. Unfortunately, I did not write a tasting note, but I liked it so much at the tasting that I bought a few bottles for my cellar, all but one of which is gone.

1 Like

One of the most intriguing and consistent producers. Really love these aromatic wines.