The Big 4-0!! A Few From 1980 (Dom P, Mouton, Silver Oak)

A little late posting but I turned the big 4-0 late December and opened a few bottles from 1980 throughout the week. All of them showed really well but the Silver Oak Alexander Valley was the clear standout. Just an awesome wine that was firing on all cylinders. Lucky to have 2 more that i’ll enjoy over the next decade. Life is good [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Nice notes Rich and belated happy 40th! Cool to see the Silver Oak best the Mouton.

I cracked 40 back in '18 and ended up not doing any birth year wines, as any wines that looked interesting to me were a bit steep in the tariff and I didn’t want to take the risk. Drank quite well (a number of times!) in celebration, just no birth year wines.

1 Like

Thanks Jason!

And I hear ya on the costs of birth-year wines! The older we get, the more expensive the wines become! Luckily 1980 isn’t really known as a ‘great’ vintage in most regions so I’ve been able to scoop up quite a few at reasonable prices over the years…but its definitley getting harder and harder!

Happy belated birthday youngster.

1 Like

Love seeing that Silver Oak performing as well as it did. It continues to be a label derided by many but they continue to pump out quality wines year in and year out - and our very own Nate Weis is a great steward of the brand at present . . .

Cheers.

1 Like

Happy 40th BRO!! Always got to have that birth year DP! When I turned 50, I cracked a bunch of 1969 wines…pretty much all year round! Fun to do so… [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Ha! Thanks David…although I’m feeling less and less ‘young’ each year :wink:

Agreed Larry! I had pretty high hopes for the Silver Oak but it VERY much exceeded them!

Thanks bud!! And you gotta do it, right! Just kicks things up a notch when you crack a birthyear wine…especially when they show well!

Oh damn. The wife and I are turning 40 next year. You’ve got the wheels turning and now I need to start planning my birth year wines…

1 Like

Happy Birthday Bud! Great notes! But no Bedrock? JK neener

1 Like

Happy b-day Rich. Happy for you that you had great wines to celebrate youngster. It will be very costly and hard to track down any wines from my birth year.

1 Like

I turned 40 in February! Jordan Alexander and Montelena really performed above and beyond their dollar value. Also…La Tache :slight_smile:!

1 Like

Happy birthday!

You are now closer to 80 than to birth! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Happy Birthday Sir!!

1 Like

Love it!! Definitely adds a little excitement to the big day :slight_smile:

Thanks man!

And ha! I wish! I think Morgan is right around my age and while he started making wine pretty young…a 1980 vintage may be pushing it :wink:

Thanks Sean! And it is definitley getting more expensive each year to find more birth-year wines!

Daaaaamn! I think we should plan a joint celebration when we both turn 45 :wink:

1 Like

…For some reason I suddenly feel like drinking even more. reaches for the scotch :wink: