TN: 2014 Marcel Lapierre Morgon Cuvée Marcel Lapierre - WOW

Jorge “New Daddy” Henrique got me hooked on these Bao sandwiches. I’m not sure how else to describe it, and am probably offending two cultures here unwittingly, but it’s like an Asian taco. Some chewy gooey bread, meat stuff shoved inside, and pickled things as accoutrement. Being the devout Cuban that I am, I love the pork belly one. All that greasy yummy pig fat grounds me, brings me back to my homeland, with the bounty of the island in full display, warm tropical breezes gently caressing the palms, birds chattering. And the whole time I’m having this feast, reminiscing about the island - mind you, I’ve never been there - and I’m thinking, “damn, a really classic Beaujolais from a crisp year would just slay.”

This 2014 Marcel Lapierre Morgon Cuvée Marcel Lapierre does just that, slays it. I do not often buy this cuvee, first off it is pricey. And second, in years like 15 and 09, I find it too OTT. Not sure why, but the centenarian vines here seem to be on steroids in ripe years, but in classic years like 2014, the balance of intense, ripe fruit and the acids and structure work profoundly well. Sappy red fruits, game and spices on the nose. Rose petals, perhaps. The body is so perfect for a Beaujolais, sappy but medium-weight, if that makes sense. Maybe on the light side of medium, but the richness of the fruits suggests a bigger wine. Shows a really broad range of tangy and ripe red fruits plus some brambly darks on the backend. The finish is so lip-smacking, super-fresh.

I love this Beaujolais vintage. Probably my favorite in the last 10+ years. I also love this wine.

(93 pts.)

987817CA-A5AD-415A-ABFC-5B456C5FDEDE.jpeg

4 Likes

Awesome note. I wish I had 50 cases of Cru Bojo in my cellar…maybe 100.

Damn Kris, I was just having the same thought. And I have a ton of Bojo. Was just thinking to myself, I am rarely disappointed by my go-to producers. And often “wowed”. I might have under-rated this wine. I’m on the third glass and it just keeps building.

The 2018 is amazingly fresh. Shows a touch of the vintage, but still delicious.

Good call! The freshness completely makes it.

I agree, 2014 is a year to back-fill if you can.

Agree ‘14 is fantastic. Took delivery of a sixpack in November and all 6 bottles were gone by New Year.

‘16 is also incredible - it’s more opulent and concentrated where the ‘14 struck me as elegant and restrained.

Bao sandwich is from China. I believe Northern China. Could be wrong.

Thanks for the note, I have yet to open any of this cuvee from my cellar. '16 has been my favorite Lapierre vintage, but I’ve only tasted back to '14.

The base Morgon is usually a guilt free open for me. Not too pricey and seems to drink anywhere on the aging curve.

Thanks for the note. I just took delivery of the 2019 and after a tester bottle, it’s getting buried in the cellar. Not as “fresh” as the straight Morgon, that’s for sure. Hopefully this develops nicely over the coming years.