Other Ligniers

I’ve heard good things about Lignier michelot and Georges Lignier lately. Do people think they’re starting to catch up with Hubert Lignier?

2 Likes

No

I think they’re both making nice wines, but not at the level of H Lignier.

How far away? The pricing is not at the level of H Lignier, although OP did not ask that question about relative value.

I am a big fan and buyer of L-M. Priced at least two (maybe three) levels below H Lignier but quality not not that far behind.

I admit I haven’t drunk G Lignier since I finished the last of my 1985 CdR (or maybe CsD).

I’ve liked the G. Lignier CsD (Clos St. Denis), but only older ones, from the 90’s, which have been truly nice. I haven’t had anything more recent.

1 Like

How was? I have no experience with Georges Lignier and certainly not with his 1985 CSD.

I drink quite a bit of H. Lignier.

I’m with you. The LM are excellent MSD. I’d take those over the premier cru from Hubert L regardless of price.

Georges Lignier has made really good strides in recent years, but the wines are also very different from those of Hubert; they’re made in a considerably lighter style. I’ve had some Lignier Michelot and have found them perfectly cromulent. That said, I don’t think these Domaines have much in common other than their names, and comparing the wines to Hubert’s is a little unfair, since I think he’s currently make the best Clos de la Roche.

2 Likes

I should have addressed that since OP asks if they’re starting to catch up rather than are they as good. I’m more familiar with the L-M wines, which I think are quite good and relatively well valued. Comparative value is tough. I would have to have the wines side by side to have a confident opinion on that. I guess you’d be comparing 1er to village or something like that.

Hi Shoshana - Welcome to the board. JR says hello. We like the old Georges Lignier wines quite a bit. I brought a '78 Clos de la Roche to Hong Kong and opened it at dinner after the Zachys auction with MJ, Fritz and JR. Even after the plane ride and almost no recovery time, it caused Fritz to make a loud fire engine noise and then burst into song. So there’s that.

1 Like

Ha ha! That story is reason alone to buy some. Tell JR it better have been a very loud and enthusiastic hi! And a warm hello to you both!

Anyone have experience the last few years with recent vintages of Georges Lignier? Based on this thread and others, sounds like the wines are improving. @Greg_K, any updates?

First Bottle has the 2017 Clos Saint-Denis for $160, below WSP low, which also only shows 6-packs available. Tempting when you consider the free shipping if you buy 6 bottles of it as a mixed half-case.

Since my initial post I’ve drank through several vintages of CDLR from all three producers. The HL is certainly the best, but the LM and GL are also good. I think both aren’t as dense or quite as complex as the HL but both good.

Regarding GL CSD, it’s ok but I’d prefer to seek out other producers for this wine, some of which aren’t much more expensive like Drouhin, CLF, Marchand Tawse and Drouhin

Had a 2013 L-M MSD VV last night and it is really drinking well. A fine glass of Burgundy at a price unlikely to be seen again.

1 Like

I do like the embiggen style of Hubert.

2 Likes

I tasted the '21 L-M MSD Rue de Vergy yesterday and was impressed by it. Muscular and somewhat brooding - like some of the L-M wines I haven’t been impressed by - but also taut and precise, with mineral freshness and beautiful fruit. Hard to know if that’s a '21 thing, but it’s a very good wine and I’m a buyer at the sub $100 pricetag.

Thanks - I wonder the reason for the delta between the CdlR and the CSD - as far as I can tell they’re both domaine fruit and similarly aged vines. I picked up one as part of a mixed case to try the producer but will be on the lookout for the CdlR and others.

I don’t think there’s a delta between the two wines, they’re both good, but I’m not sure I’d spend that much effort chasing them.

1 Like

I like the wines, yes. They’re made in a lighter style and are more delicate that Hubert/Laurent’s. If you want an intro to the wines, try the Clos de l’Ormes, which isn’t expensive.

I don’t think they’re as good as the Hubert/Laurent wines, but that’s no shame. Laurent makes the best Clos de la Roche at the moment and Benoit took over the Domaine from about 2012 on, so is still working to change things.

1 Like