TN: 2001 Paul Hobbs 'Stagecoach Vyd' CS [Napa]

2001 Paul Hobbs ‘Stagecoach Vineyard’ CS [Napa] held since release, double decanted. 14.8% abv. light amount of sediment. Dark ruby hue, color suggesting lots of runway still ahead, my guess is perhaps another 20 years. On the nose there is some cocoa, caramel, burnt sugar. Tremendous density in the flavor, 45-60 seconds of finish. Complexity from sandalwood, mint, eucalyptus. Low acid, and resolved tannins. Finally some blackberry on the palate. A fabulous example of CA cabernet, that I almost wish I had not loved so much, as the producer/vyd/category have become expensive for new releases. Consumed over two days, with a burger and then a ribeye steak. Initially I thought it was an A/A+ wine, but after reflection and consideration of the back half of the bottle I’ll score it as a solid A. Still, I don’t drink many bottles of this excellence, and my dwindling stash of other 2001 cabs is just a handful at this point. I’d consider this a California 2nd growth, if one was doing a classification.
PXL_20210121_024138513.jpg

2 Likes

You knocked your glass over mate. Were you tipsy while taking that snap?

1 Like

How much was this on release?

That’s good color for a 19-year old Napa Cab.

I think it was $70ish? That felt like a lot then considering that (more proven, at least to me) Dominus and Togni were only $20 or so more.

I think I ordered it over the phone from Bertellis in NJ (are they even around anymore?) and the salesman mentioned it was a wine that would need some time…