Magdelaine 1998

Just bought a case in the UK, so decided I had enough bottles to open one. From past experience I gave it a long three hour decant.

Even so, the wine is still incredibly young, but oh so promising. Reddish black fruit, spices, cigar box and leather. On the palate, it still has not entirely resolved, with a few spiky tannins apparent, but it is way more civilized than the last time I tried it. It also shows that same complexity as on the nose with a very slight herbal note added. In the mid palate, a core of fruit appears and brightens it, before a long, layered finish. This is really excellent stuff, and destined to be one of the great Magdelaines, perhaps even better than the 1982. 96/97

4 Likes

Nice!

Will continue to hold.

Perfecting timing on my purchase! :slight_smile:

The 1982 I had last month was stunning.

Love the 82 Magdelaine, second only to the 70 in my experience (I’ve also had the 75, 86, 89, 90, 95, and 00). When correct (I’ve had it 5 times, and 4 were on form), the 70 is an utterly brilliant wine.

I haven’t opened any of my 98 Magdelaine yet, figuring it’s too young.

I have two bottles of that 1970 thanks to the generosity of a Board member, flipped them to me at a very reasonable price. Looking forward the right moment to pop one, but definitely one with fellow Berserker MarcF a/k/a Bobby Goulet.

Grabbed a half case of this earlier this year from auction…hope they show well!

If Marc is Bobby Goulet, can I play Guinevere when you find the right moment?

Pat, if you have a bunch, I wouldn’t hesitate. It’s really good. Not at ‘70 level yet, but it’s on the right trajectory.

Marc has fantastic hair!

Magdelaine from a good vintage tends to take longer than most Bordeaux, in the region of three decades.

The 1998 still needs time, but it will be at that top level, and the equal of 1982. BTW, I slightly prefer the 1982 to the 1970, but it is close. As for opening now, yes with that long decant, and follow the wine in the glass for another couple of hours.

You boys twerked me up to pop a 1999, in the decanter now. I definitely think 2000 and 1995 need more time. Figured 1999 being more approachable as a vintage, perhaps I’m good.

The 90s of these will be fantastic… 90, 92, 95, 98, and I’ll throw up 99 as under-appreciated. (Good call Robert, though it will also go the long haul)

Great bottle.

Thanks for another data point, will continue to hold. ‘89 vintage is just about ready.

My 1970 experiences had been inconsistent and it comes with most wines at this age, with the highest level at a seriously dope level. I still have 1982 > 1970, only because all my 1982 experiences have been very memorable.

Not in your list is the 1985, which I had as recent as in a November tasting at Dale’s. That was so good.

Such a nice and informative note from Mark, no? Until he started using numbers.

1 Like

The 1998 Magdelaine is certainly one of the most sublime wines I’ve enjoyed in recent years.
This is an extraordinarily elegant, medium-bodied, precise and mineral-rich, seamless Saint-Emilion that shines for its striking aromatic presence, purity, complexity, silky tannins, and extraordinary length. A wine of total finesse. For me, a perfect wine!

Thanks for the note, Mark!

1 Like

Deleted.

1 Like

Yes, that is a huge score for me, but the wine really showed beautifully. I have been sourcing them for some time now, because examples of old fashioned Saint Emilion winemaking is getting rarer. I think you will be able to source them more easily in Europe than we are here.

1 Like