Respect for Rogov!

http://cinderellawine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91 points for Rogov
88 for Squires

I have heard about Rogov’s inflation for years…now we all see it is true!

Does Rogov make the wine?

Rogov is Daniel Rogov…wine critic for the stars!

Dan, Hi…

Can you provide a better link please? I don’t find my name or tasting note on the link you gave. Or, if the link is no longer active, the name and vintage year of the wine in question…

Best
Rogov

Sorry, Daniel, the link is only valid for 24 hours on cinderella. Perhaps Ian from WL can provide?

FYI, my inflation note was sarcasm.

Here is the blurb in question from the WL site. A kosher wine from Israel.

Carmel Kayoumi Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
Type: Israeli Kosher Wine
Size|750ML Vintage|2004 Library Code|48291 Email this
91 Points - Daniel Rogov - Guide to Israeli Wines
“Aged in oak for 15 months, the wine is dark, almost impenetrable purple in color. Firm tannins and smoky wood come together with currant, blackberry, plum and mineral aromas and flavors, those showing hints of Mediterranean herbs and light Oriental spices. Long and generous. Drink now-2012.” -91 points- Daniel Rogov- Guide to Israeli Wines

I just thought it was nice to see Rogov getting some press over here with his reviews. I own one of his books, and enjoy his writings. My apologies to anyone that took me seriously on a swipe at him.

Well, I didn’t “have” either review but then I am the GOOGLEMEISTER

Wine Advocate
The 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Kayoumi Vineyard is on a similar level in style and quality to the Kayoumi Shiraz, but with less obvious oak perceptible, relatively speaking, although it spent 15 months in French oak. There is a touch of herbs, an average finish and a medium bodied mid-palate. It is intense, with plenty of tannin, and far more austere than the Shiraz. It just might repay some cellaring, although it is approachable now. There are a lot of good things going on here, and the price is right. Drink now-2014. For those interested, this wine is Kosher.
Score: 89. —Mark Squires, December 2007.

Both critics are very capable (it makes me wince a little to say that about Mark Squires but it is true, he has a good palate) and they were tasting the same wine, so it’s not surprising to me that everyone got “herbs” and liked the wines. In a way it just shows how random “points” can be – the description is much more valuable if you want to see whether you will like the wine.

When I see “chocolate” or “cocoa” in a red wine TN I duck. Usually the person using the descriptor is loving it…

BTW Icelandic isn’t all that difficult and I have an Icelandic girl in my class this semester (I asked because her last name was Somethingsdottir) who could help me out…

Daniel, Hi…

As no offense was meant, none is taken.

I may be just a bit hypersentitive today as yesterday at an exhibition one of the winery owners present called me “a self-hating, anti-semitic Jew” and then threw a bottle of wine at me. Fortunately, I jumped fast enough and he missed.

Best
Rogov

Well, that guy does not sound like he was joking!

Sorry to hear that.

Glad allir eru vinir aftur, og allt er hamingjusamur.

FYI… Here is the old link in all its glory:

2004 Carmel Kayoumi Cabernet Sauvignon « Cinderella Wine - Ridiculously low prices for up to 24 hours only." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reese

???

What the heck is an anti-semetic Jew??? A Jew that hates jew’s? I have never heard such a thing [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I have heard of hypocrite Jew’s (you know , the ones that are orthodox, but yet get caught in Asian whack shacks in NYC, as they cheat on their wives and get happy endings", but never heard of, or met a Jew that hates Jew’s. I find the statement rather odd.

You can get a slightly better idea of what happened if you go over to WLDG and visit his wine forum.

I understand what he is talking about and it makes me have “respect for Rogov” in other ways.

But REALLY this is a huge political hot potato and we don’t want to get into it here.

WineLovers Discussion Group • View forum - Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Serge, as you may know, Rogov’s situation has utterly nothing to do with Nazis.

I worry that your references give the wrong impression, nobody has ever accused Rogov of THAT.

neener

Yours – “Those who know no geometry may not enter.”

Mine – “Glad everyone is friends again, and everything is happy”

vapid, but the point was not profundity.

I can sum up what happened to Rogov by pointing to “the Z word” which is a major sticking point in Israeli politics…