Ch. Canon

1979 Ch. Canon, St. Emilion

Pachelbel scored his with a D.
I give this classic an A minus.

FEDDDF91-5510-4587-963B-6B53F30EBADF.jpeg

1 Like

Nice. Did you acquire this recently or had you stored it for some time? Been looking for good 79’s…

Recently, about a year ago. Am also now on the look out for possible replenishment.

I feel like having a wedding

I like 1979 Bordeaux very much. So underrated Great results in Margaux and Pomerol, and good bottles of Ausone are stellar.

1 Like

I had some 1979 Canon but drank it long ago. It was very good. Glad to see it is still going strong.

Was able to get a couple of bottles of 1979 Ausone for $25 in the early to mid 1980s when a store was going out of business. [In those days, $25 was a fortune for me to spend on a bottle of wine. And, I had to save some money to buy 1978 Faiveley Clos Vougeot at $10 and a few other things.] The 1979 Ausone was a truly great bottle of Bordeaux. Interestingly, a friend who also bought a couple brought one to a dinner some years back. He opened it and decanted it before leaving to go to the restaurant. He said it was so bad he almost dumped it. But, he decided to bring it to see what happened to it and also bring a backup. By the time we got to the restaurant, it was very good. By the time we got to the wine (after Champagne and white Burgundy) it was fabulous.

Props for the pun!

1 Like

big fan of Canon!

I haven’t had much '79 from Pomerol, but continue to be impressed with the few from St. Emilion including Canon (as per TN), Cheval Blanc, and Ausone.
Our local group had the '79 Ausone in a Covid-moderated dinner at Dale’s in November. Showed very young, but with all the stuffings of a very good Bordeaux.

I was also reminded of a few well-made '79 Graves including HB, LMHB, Haut Bailly and Domaine de Chevalier.

1 Like

Big fan of the former Canon.

When did they turn the corner, Patrick? Rolland?

Yes. This! Old cannon were terrific!

Canon went bling-bling in 2015.

John Kolassa retired around that time.

It always escapes me that the same John Kolassa who managed another of my preferred property in Rauzan Segla, also managed Ch. Canon. Although he wasn’t around during the highly successful heydays for both properties in the 80’s, he upgraded the properties and carried on the house styles, at least all through the ones I’m able to taste which is 2005.

Lovely man, great palate, and an impish sense of humor. Of course he had much to make up for, being a Scot champagne.gif

Agree re Margaux, du Tertre and Giscours have long been good values. And DDC & HautBailly in Graves as Ramon mentions.
Only sound Pomerols I’ve had were Certan de May (excellent) and Lafleur (I prefer the much cheaper Certan de May). Had high hopes for a Trotanoy but it was corked. :frowning:
That Ausone Ramon brought in Nov was gorgeous.

2 Likes

We had the 1979 at John Gilman’s house. It had that pruny overripe character which some of the old fashioned Lafleurs possessed.

Sadly, I have to say that whenever I tasted it, I could be sure that Parker had given it an extremely high score.

79 Palmer also wonderful. Great note Ramon!

1 Like