TN: 2015 Marie Courtin - Champagne "Resonance" Extra Brut (France, Champagne)

2015 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (12/25/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– 100% Pinot Noir –
– May 2019 disgorgement –

NOSE: smells nice: peach and a hint of mango; moderately expressive.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: very dry; lots of mineral, and almost no fruit; medium+ to high acidity; faint fruit tones peaked-out as it warmed to a warm room temperature. I like dry/austere/crisp Champagne as much as the next person, but I do enjoy some fruit flavor, and this just didn’t have it. Hopefully it’s just in a weird spot and needs a few months to unfurl. Likely in the mid 80s if scoring.

Thanks for posting this. For the last few years I’ve felt that this wine punched way above its weight, but the current vintage I have in my cellar is 2014 (disgorged July, 2018). I have purchased multiple cases of this in the past, but I will be more careful about buying in the future.

I’ve had this a few times and always felt it was the one weak point in the MC stable.

Rick,

To be fair to the producer, I do note others have pretty different opinions about this, as reflected in CT TNs.

Jay,

Yep. Of the four or five Courtins I’ve had, this is the only one that has been less-than-excellent.*

• edited months after the fact to note that I’ve since had a corked, and really weird bottle of 2013 Allegeance.

I was not a fan of the Resonance but I really liked the 2015 Concordance (I ended up going back to pick up a few more bottles of it). Concordance definitely has a light strawberry aroma. Worth checking out.

I’ve had the 2014 Concordance and liked it a lot, Steve. [cheers.gif]

p.s.: A quick perusal of past notes shows I enjoyed the 2014 Resonance.

2015 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (3/21/2021)
– May 2019 disgorgement –
– 100% Pinot Noir –

NOSE: light/fresh; medium-light, fresh (not oxidized) apple.

BODY: very active bead; light-to-medium-light bodied.

TASTE: very austere; crisp, light cherry; better than last bottle in December, but I still have a clear preference for the Efflorescence.

And, because I had not yet logged the March bottle out of CT, I thought I had two of these left when I only had one, and decided to check-in on it; whoops!! Now I’m all out. The takeaway from the note below is this wine appears to be slowly unfurling in the cellar, and it’s probably best to Hold for now.

2015 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (4/25/2021)
Better than bottle in December. This one actually had some fruity aromas and flavors. Very nice.

On a side note, I think these also seem to age quite well. I still have a couple of bottles in the cellar that I picked up from Dominique back in 2010 and 2011. All fully mature, but still drinking great.

The 2009 Marie Courtin Indulgence Rose is lovely and perfectly rounded. It is a late release from her cellars.