Sinegal 2018 Cabernet Estate & 2016 Reserve

First off.
Is anyone familiar with this wine?

I hear it is a blend of mostly cab with all the Bordeaux typical other wines blended in.
Cab Franc, Merlot, PV and Malbec.

I also heard it is a bit Hard to find.

Also… I heard the name comes from Jim Sinegal.
Founder and Former CEO of Costco.

I also saw that Antonio Galloni of Vinious gave the 2018 Estate a score of 97.

Not a score that these guys give out easily…unless your name is…Never mind.

Anyway… please tell me you know “Something” about this wine as I heard the Reserve 2016 is amazing.

The prices I saw were over $215 for the 16 Reserve and 109 for the 18 Estate.

I’m very curious what the folks here know about this wine.

Thanks!

Karl

Can’t tell you anything about the wines itself; however, you can find it locally (Houston) at… Costco. It is under $70/bottle. Thought about picking one up the other day, but like you, I had never heard of it before.

The style is similar to Realm the Bard, or Turnbull black label if you had those before.
A lot of fruits, balance, can tell it’s nice wine, but a bit boring.

1 Like

It’s a great wine. Big noses with cigar box type flavors. If you like that style then this is for you. Production isn’t at a boutique type level. Not sure why I didn’t buy a case today at Costco

Paul

Where is your costco?

Indeed, the only place I’ve seen this is Costco. It sounds like it’s a decent, but fairly fungible, modern Napa cab.

Back a long time ago when I used to visit Napa wineries, I remember we would often ask who the owners are and how they came to be making wine. The story was almost always some version of “the owner made a fortune as the CEO of this company, founder of that company, by selling the business he built for $ hundreds of millions, and then he and his wife decided to buy an estate in Napa and start making wines.” This certainly fits the bill.

I bought the ‘13 at Wine Library and the ‘16 at Central Wine Merchants in Flemington NJ. Haven’t had either yet.

been a bunch of signed bottles sitting in our local costco for $65.

Rich guy jumping in to ultra premium (initial vintages were $100 plus IIRC) wine business vanity projects dont interest me even if they are technically solid wines.

That fits, except in this case the owner’s father was the founder of Costco and he ran the wine program.

Chandler, AZ

If you like the style it is a good value. The owner has followed his father’s model and not let his accountants drive the price to what the market will bear.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments.

The wine sounds interesting.

Paul, Mine is in DE.

The 2016 reserve is listed in the cabinet at 199$

Sounds like they need some age.
65$ for the Estate sounds like it’s worth a shot.
Glad I grabbed some.

I’ve had the '15, '16 and '17 Estate and they are all quite good (the '17 is a small step back from the other two). They have a very identifiable “scorched earth” note that I get from Saint Helena wines. Made in a big Napa style, but not over the top, and something about them is quite unique (I don’t find them generic at all). I’ve found it discounted to $60 and think it’s one of the best values out there at that price.