Zins-Scherrer vs Turley

I’m debating on the BD Scherrer zin pack but I was planning on picking up some Turley Juvenile this week off the mailing. Not sure I need both right now. Any thoughts between the two? I have some Turley old vine in the cellar along with some Bedrock zins.

They’re both good, but stylistically different. Turley is bolder, darker, riper, more spicy. Scherrer is more red fruited, smooth, pretty, relatively feminine in style for a zin.

I’d also suggest that Turley zin might drink better young, while Scherrer zin ages (and rewards aging) better.

No right or wrong answer for you, but maybe just a matter of what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Hello - I have zero experience with Turley, but Scherrer is well-loved on this board. I have a few bottles of Scherrer Old and Mature Vines. I like them. They are definitely not in the jammy fruit bomb category.

Check out this thread:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2904864#p2904864

Not sure where my response went. Trying again:

That helps. I’ve just started to work on building up the cellar so I have quite a bit that i’m trying not to drink right now and was hoping for my buys today to be more drink now vs later. The Juvinelle might be the way to go at this time. Thanks for your input.

Thank you, I had Scherrer on my “keep an eye on” list for today but after already grabbing quite a bit of Pinots that option is out so was leaning towards the zins. Debating if I want to stop myself from going overboard.

It is called wineberserkers…not winemoderators. neener [berserker.gif] champagne.gif

1 Like

I am way overboard and would only enable you. Having said that, Fred’s zins are best with some age on them. I’d buy a little something today. If you like them, you can opt into his Zin futures program, which brings the cost to about $25/bottle.

I have a case of futures waiting for me, which is the only reason I passed on today’s offer.

Get both.

Scherrer has an aged zin offer for Berserker Day today - check it out!

Oops! Nevermind!!!

You’re definitely in the wrong place for that, especially today.

Never have seen such a price difference on Turley Juvenile on Wine Searcher. $24.97 to $44.97. Same wine $20 difference.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/turley+zinfandel+juvenile/2018

[snort.gif] You guys are killing me. Since I have the hubby’s card I may just pull the trigger on both.

They are both really good values for the dollar, plus really easy wines for most people to like, both wine lovers and just regular folks.

Save at least one or two of the Scherrer zins for a few years down the road (or better still, even longer).

If you’re just starting out you should definitely get both. Figure out which one you like more and then buy more of that. Wine is a journey, and unless you already know turley is your desert island wine, you’re better off trying a variety of styles.

Yes, this. I’m starting to stock the cellar so unfortunately I have a lot that i’m trying to sit on and i’m doing my best to buy a variety of styles to determine what to concentrate on more down the line. I have some basic understanding ( I tend to prefer Sryah’s, PS, Zins to cabs, hit or miss on Pinots, not a Bordeaux fan) and am trying to pay better attention to what I like and figure out why I like it.

1 Like

Just because people say you can/should age Scherrer doesn’t mean you can’t drink it now! Sure it’ll be amazing with 8-10 years on it, but it tastes pretty darn good now, especially if you’re drinking over 2 nights. I think people get obsessed with finding the exact right moment to drink a wine, and part of the joy of wine is understanding what it tastes like when it is young, then in its prime, then on the gentle downslope.

Great perspective. [winner.gif] [worship.gif]

Two very different expressions of zin, both quite good examples of their respective styles.

If you are newer to zin, try both!

1 Like

The big differentiating thing is the Scherrer will have perceptibly higher natural acidity. Great wines.