Wines you have trouble buying because of the name

I know we should buy wines based on quality, not on the name of the wine, and that is what I do. But, there are a couple of wine names that make it hard. I got the impetus for this thread based on this thread 2017 myglands - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers although I personally am a fan of Clos des Myglands. That being said, no matter how good the wine is, it is a bit tough buying a wine called:

Rotwein

Gutsriesling

No Girls

Horsepower

I may come up with more, but how about you guys?

Chatenieres

I don’t understand the issue with ‘rotwein’. Doesn’t it simply mean ‘red wine’ in German?

Naked Wines

I don’t want to think about someone’s junk.

I’ve always had a hard time warming up to Lemberger, although Blaufrankisch is OK.

Basel Cellars is not one I would chose off a rack of equals.

I agree about Naked wines, but for a different reason. How could a wine be any good with a gimmick name like that?

The brand refers to yours.

Already have that covered, I buy Dirty and Rowdy.

1 Like

I had to think about that a minute since I speak German, then aha! It’s an native English speaker having problems with the word “rot”.

1 Like

And now, of course, I see the issue with “gut”.

Myglands, of course

2 Likes

images if you.jpg
If You See Kay …

Well, similar to Rotwein for English speakers without German is Rotburger. If you know “rot” is German for red, no big deal, if not, it does sound gross.

1 Like

2019 Caduceus Cellars Merkin Vineyards The Diddler

for multiple reasons… [truce.gif]

Chasse-Spleen

Not the name, but there’s a wine I can’t buy because it has a spider on the label… I can’t handle spiders.

It does not matter what it means in German. It just sounds in English like rotten wine. Please lighten up a bit and have fun - this is not a really serious thread.

Hey. Hardy can name a winery anything he wants.

It doesn’t if you actually know how to pronounce it [snort.gif]

just like Germans wouldn’t like a gift* wine!

*German for poison

Between Dirty and Rowdy and Clothing Optional, Hardy really is seeing how far he can push things neener